Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0 Temperature reading issues

Posted by GeoPendragon 
Marlin 2.0 Temperature reading issues
July 31, 2022 10:51PM
Hello,

I am in need of your help, I can't find my error.

Let me give you a bit of context on my printer:

Sunhokey Prusa i4(chinese bootleg brand) working just fine, marlin 1.5 I believe, no issues whatsoever.
But one day, a screw fell on the motherboard and shorted it out

Next, I decided to upgrade the motherboard since the MKS 1.5 that it came with, turned out difficult to purchase again.
I bought a MKS TinyBee, and bought 5 TMC 2208. X, Y, Z, Z and Extruder.

Uploaded firmware, set it up just fine. I was happy that it was working, but I started encountering some issues whilst heating up.
Some THERMAL RUNAWAY PROTECTION and MINTEMP issues but I could fix those easily.

Later that day, I started noticing that the temperature was not being registered correctly, the screen showed err/? or something on the lines of that.

If I wanted to start heating the printer right after turning it on, it wouldn't rise the temperature, not until I did an auto-home and only then I could start heating up the machine.

So far so good, the temperature rises steadily and then it starts to print. I printed a Benchy but came out horribly. Close to finishing the print turns out the printer was cold-extruding,
and once again, not registering the actual temperature.

After the print finishes, I did an autohome and turns out the extruder is around 125 degrees.

Fiddling around with the printer, I found out that ONLY when the X and Y endstops are on, does the Printer read the temperature.

Any idea as to why could this particular issue be happening?

Best regards,

Geo
Re: Marlin 2.0 Temperature reading issues
July 31, 2022 11:09PM
As a work around try enabling ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT in configuration_adv.h

ESP32 based boards are a tribute to stuffing 10lbs into a 5lb sack. I'm amazed what they can do with that platform.

Please try bugfix-2.1.x. I've seen a couple of ESP32 and TinyBee bugs fixed in the last 2-3 months.
August 01, 2022 12:13AM
" started noticing that the temperature was not being registered correctly, the screen showed err/? "

sounds like a broken thermistor wire, homing it makes it reconnect for a while
August 01, 2022 12:27AM
I thought that as well, but I forgot to mention that I did a test, placing the Extruder away from home (somewhat like in the middle of X) and I manually pressed the endstop. When I did that, it started registering the temperature again!
August 01, 2022 12:28AM
@bob.kuhn I didn't know such parameter existed, Let me try it and I'll tell you if anything happens. Thank you! Also, hopefully the update fixes my bugs.
August 07, 2022 12:49AM
Hello sir, I am writing here again with updates on the issue... I hope you can help.

Installed newer Version of Marlin, and enabled the Endstops, and still the same issue.
When X and Y endstops are ON, it registers temp, otherwise it doesnt.
August 07, 2022 02:36AM
This make zero sense.. to be a firmware issue.

The only thing that comes to mind is your endsops may be badly wired

Each endstop plug has 3 pins S (signal) GND and 5V

the endstop should connect the signal pin to gnd or 5v

If your endstop connects 5v to gnd very bad things happen.
August 07, 2022 03:17AM
I just did some testing.
After reading your comment, it came to my mind that it might be a faulty endstop, but they all work properly.
I did some swapping around and it turns out that the problem is on the Y endstop connection (?)
When it's on, it reads temperature alright.
When its off, it doesn't.
Now, to make it more interesting, if the endstop is unplugged, there is no reading issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 03:18AM by GeoPendragon.
VDX
August 07, 2022 03:27AM
... check the connection of the endstop signal, +5V and GND to the temp-reading I/O-pin and +5V and GND of the Atmega - there is either a connection missing or wired wrong ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 03:27AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 07, 2022 03:48AM
Just checked wirings. Thermistor is alright
Endstops on the switches' connectors are Blue (Space) Black Red
and on the board they are blue, black red

A little bit of context:

The machine in question is a Sunhokey Prusa i4, which when I bought it,
it came with a MKS v1.5 installed.

I accidentally shorted something (accidentally dropped a screw) on the mainboard and well, it died.

Later on, I upgraded to a MKS Tinybee with 5 TMC 2208 (X, Y, Z1, Z2 and Extruder)

Do wirings differ from one model or another?

Like i was saying... Endstops work just fine, its just that weird interruption of the temperature signal when either X or Y are not triggered.
August 09, 2022 04:20AM
So I found the solution.

I dont know the specifics but I just had to disconnect X and Y Endstops' voltage cable and that made the trick.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2022 04:20AM by GeoPendragon.
VDX
August 09, 2022 04:44AM
... this maybe shows another problem - could be, you're shorting the voltage level with the triggered endstop below a sound level.

So better recheck the pins and orientation of your endstop connections ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login