Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full graphics smart controler set up

Posted by bean11 
Full graphics smart controler set up
March 05, 2016 03:11AM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Full Graphics Smart Controller to use with my Mini Rambo 1.3 board, but im having a hell of a time getting it to work. So after three nights of banginng my head into my keyboard im pleading for help!

Im using this board in a Lulzbot mini, so I am using the stock firmware (marlin V1) Can be found here: [download.lulzbot.com]
I have seen some tutorials that say all you need to do is go under the Configuration.h tab and change

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

to

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

and add the U8glib to your list of arduino libraries.

I have done both of these things but had no luck. The backlight on the lcd turns on but that is all that I get.
I have also tried compiling and uploading the code with arduino 1.0.6 and 1.6.7

The pin headers on my Mini rambo board aent keyed so you can plug the ribbon cable in either way. Everywhere I read people say it "should" be fine if you plug it in backwards. How can I test that? I feel I may have fried the lcd and am wasting my time with firmware when I have a hardware problem.
Re: Full graphics smart controler set up
March 05, 2016 04:10AM
In Marlin you often have to disable the default display driver too.
March 05, 2016 12:37PM
Thanks for the tip. Where would I find the section of code I need to ommit? Or is it an entire library?
March 06, 2016 04:45AM
The default driver ( if any ) is in the same section, called REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
In newer versions of Marlin you have to enable SD_support, too

But it is still possible, you've placed the ribbon cables wrong.
Using two identical cables is a No_Go for me, but we can't turn the wheel of times backwards...
March 06, 2016 05:29AM
The first time i used my smart controller i also only saw a blank screen. If i looked really closely i could see some icons in the screen.
It turned out to be a contrast problem, adjusting the pot on the front fixed it for me.
On other models where there is no potentiometer you can solder one on with a resistor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login