Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z home position and stepper full step.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Z home position and stepper full step.
March 17, 2016 02:54PM
On my recently acquired Geetech Prusa I3 I make sure to choose the layer height to correspond to an integer number of full steps but to ensure the Z position corresponds to a full step, the home position must too.
I see the Z axis uses 1/16 step.
Therefore, how is the Z home position determined by the firmware ? Once it detects the end-stop trigger, does it take this as the "zero" or does it adjust to a full step ? The error would be negligible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 02:57PM by MKSA.
Re: Z home position and stepper full step.
March 18, 2016 11:54AM
It will note the location that the endstop triggered. And this will not be a full step typically. This will be at some micro-step.
Anonymous User
March 18, 2016 01:34PM
Roxy
It will note the location that the endstop triggered. And this will not be a full step typically. This will be at some micro-step.

Thanks. What I suspected.

If I set the jumper ont the stepper controller to work only full steps and change accordingly the step per mm in the EEPROM, will it be OK ? No potential issue (acceleration, deceleration ....) ?
Or is there a provision in the firmware to "round" to the next full step. Holding torque is max at a full step and when unpowered and when the power is tunred on, normally the stepper tries to move to a full step position.
March 18, 2016 02:29PM
For sure you lose resolution. I don't know what happens with the Sli3r's. I know Slic3r moves the Z-Axis in partial steps when it is doing support material. But Marlin will work.

I think you are worrying too much about partial steps. Everybody uses the micro-stepping and it seems to work OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 02:30PM by Roxy.
Anonymous User
March 19, 2016 12:39PM
Roxy
For sure you lose resolution. I don't know what happens with the Sli3r's. I know Slic3r moves the Z-Axis in partial steps when it is doing support material. But Marlin will work.

I think you are worrying too much about partial steps. Everybody uses the micro-stepping and it seems to work OK.

I don't worry, just that I don't like the idea of holding a position not corresponding to a full step. Although, now I modified my Prusa Zto run on just one motor.
I don't think resolution is an issue, no point having resolution in the micron range here. Just blowing at the printer, the frame will bent more than a micron smiling smiley
Thank for your time and for using the proper term, resolution and not accuracy smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login