Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller Module Issues

Posted by kylepls 
Marlin 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller Module Issues
October 17, 2016 08:24PM
I am trying to use a 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller Module (Amazon) as an interface for my GT2560 board. Sadly though I am experiencing quite the difficulty setting up what looked like the easiest install of my life. So far I have only gone through and double checked that all the pins here match up with the ones in the Ultimaker config. I would try to do more, but I cannot find any relevant resources regarding the issue.

When the printer powers on, the LCD exhibits very unusual behavior. Depending on the wiring of the 2 cables, it will either have the screen flash on/off then the knob is pressed or it will keep the screen and beeper powered. None of which are very useful.
Scenario 1: [drive.google.com]
Scenario 2: [drive.google.com]

I've uploaded my current build of Marlin to Github so that anyone that would like to assist me can easily view the settings I used. [github.com]

Thank you so much for your support!
Re: Marlin 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller Module Issues
October 17, 2016 10:42PM
If it is from Geeetech, it sucks. Have you tried asking them how to do it?

I don't quite remember, but isn't the GT2560 board an inferior clone of the Mega2560 board? If so, we can probably figure out how to get things going.

How about you do this:

Figure out which open source board the GT2560 is a clone of. Get the schematics of both the GT2560 board and the original board. Supply those links here, and we should be able to figure out what it is going to take to get you up and running.
October 17, 2016 11:20PM
It is ULTIMAKER compatible so #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_ULTIMAKER is correct

There are two different wiring for LCD's

If the pin on the back of the LCD are bent like this the cables are 180 degrees incorrect (key is on wrong side!) when compared with th3 same type of LCD with pins straight out the back. They correct this by having two different converters for the ramps end

This of course causes issue when the connectors is in built.

eg

If you imagine this connector standing up, you see the key is on the top side (image is also upside down)

vs this one with the key on the bottom side

I don't know which of these a GT2560 requires.

google shows me this picture, this a geeetech 2004 lcd

So check what pins are where and make sure cable is the correct way around in the plug.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 11:33PM by Dust.
October 18, 2016 01:07AM
I took some jumper wires and flipped all the connections upside down (the way the connector will not plug in) and it worked -.-

That is headache inducing... Thank you so much to all the people that posted!
October 18, 2016 04:52AM
yay for getting it going

And a big thanks has to go out to China, causing nightmare inducing headaches for everyone (for a bargain price.)
October 18, 2016 11:34AM
kylepls
I took some jumper wires and flipped all the connections upside down (the way the connector will not plug in) and it worked -.-

[attachment 85042 IMG_20161017_230231.jpg]

That is headache inducing... Thank you so much to all the people that posted!

Look what I found: [github.com]

I forgot about this until you posted the picture of how you got it going.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login