Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Induction Z Probe on Z Max, NOT Z Min

Posted by Eddiie 
Induction Z Probe on Z Max, NOT Z Min
December 28, 2016 02:52AM
Hi,

I think I am reading too much into the keywords that contain "Z_MIN*" to mean the Z Minimum limit switch pins...

I am on Marlin RC6.
I am using proximity sensor (NPN) at 5V connected to Z Max
My printer uses Z min for homing.
I want to use Z Max for Z probe / Bed leveling.
I have "//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP" disabled in configuration.h
I have "//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN" disabled in configuration.h
-- but notes in confiuration.h say I must pick one. - I will pick Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_ENDSTOP
-- notes in configuration.h says "Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN" sets pin to use - oh maybe this is it; I will change this to pin 19, the ZMax pin.

I have "//#define DISABLE_Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP" disabled in configuration.h

How do I do this? Making changes in configuration.h results in error -
#error A probe needs a pin! [Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN || HAS_Z_PROBE]

How do I tell it to use Z Max? What am I missing here - Mendel / Prusa's use Z Min for homing, too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 03:06AM by Eddiie.
Re: Induction Z Probe on Z Max, NOT Z Min
December 28, 2016 08:37AM
Zmin probe should be set to zmax pin so 19 is correct

Also from memory, z min probe endstop should be enabled, but this is dependent on your setup ie uses min endstop AS WELL AS a probe for bed leveling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 08:43AM by gavatron3000.
December 28, 2016 12:48PM
connect the probe to zmin and remove the mechanical switch, you the use the probe for zmin homeing and bed levelling.
However, i have had more consistant results useing a z max mechanical switch and probe on z min for levelling (useing repetier firmware tho atm)
January 22, 2017 04:58AM
obewan
connect the probe to zmin and remove the mechanical switch, you the use the probe for zmin homeing and bed levelling.
However, i have had more consistant results useing a z max mechanical switch and probe on z min for levelling (useing repetier firmware tho atm)

OH I got it now. It is Z probe OR Zmin mechanical switch, not both.

Makes sense.

Thanks!
January 22, 2017 08:32PM
Eddie: You can configure your machine however you want. But really... If you have a Z-Probe, you probably don't need a Z-Min limit switch. It will just add complexity. And most likely, things will be simpler if you put the Z-Probe on the Z-Min connector of your electronics board.
May 18, 2017 03:29PM
Hi Roxy,
I am slightly confused, I firstly set my probe on the Z min pin which worked or appeared to but when I tried to home Z the machine went through the homing routine but when the home position was reached i.e. X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00 the Z axis raised to approx 10mm above the bed. So I refitted the Z micro switch to Z min pin and connected the probe to Z max pin resulting in perfect homing though when bed levelling was run the probe never reached the trigger point before the zero micro switch activated so as I said I am confused so I again removed the micro switch and reverted to probe on Z min pin and sure the levelling routine works fine and so does the homing routine but I cannot get the nozel to stay at Z 0.00 as soon as Z 0.00 is reached Z raises to +6.8 mm from the bed. I have tried to find setting in configuration.h file to adjust it but what ever I have tried I don't seem to be able to find the answer, can you please help or is this normal. Having G28 set Z0.00 then raising to +6.8 mm, when printing starts does the printer drop to the first layer height 0.2 mm.
I might say this is my third and latest home built i3 printer, I am trying to go one step further with auto levelling and colour mixing which seems a large leap forward but it keeps me busy and learning in my retirement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login