Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Implementing new kinematics

Posted by .xack. 
Implementing new kinematics
March 28, 2017 08:54AM
Hallo everyone,

For an University Project I'm developing a Printer based on a modifyed cartesian kinematics.

Basicaly if one axes moves I have to add or subtrect a value between 0 and 800 steps of the other axes.
=> for every move i calculate these correction values and add them to x,y,z
for example X moves 100mm => Y and Z have to be corrected -1mm and +0.5mm.

That's the theory, now the question:
Where is the best place in Marlin to implement that?
I thought about the planner.cpp but I'm not that familiar with the complete marlin source code.

I'm more a Hardware guy but I don't mind a bit of coding.

I hope someone can help me or give me a hint grinning smiley

- max

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 09:16AM by .xack..
Re: Implementing new kinematics
March 29, 2017 01:14AM
This almost sounds like a Core-XY printer. Is that what you are doing?

That's the theory, now the question:
Where is the best place in Marlin to implement that?

Start by looking at how Delta, Scara and Core are handled differently than Cartesian. You will start to see patterns. And depending on the kinematics, the places those different movements hook into the code base is different.

Spend some time (a few days) understanding why they hook in at different levels.

What school are you at?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 01:18AM by Roxy.
Re: Implementing new kinematics
March 30, 2017 06:29AM
I study mechatronics engineering at the University of Applied Sciences Koblenz (Germany)

Its not a core xy winking smiley It's a based on the tripteron kinematics - which in fact would be simple cartesion.
But i Intend to modify the design, so its mechanicaly more simple, but this has the consequence that in dependence of the angle of the arme I will get an offset which i have to compensate.
In order to get geomatrical correct prints. Btw if i would drive it as a cartesian printer this error would result in in an offset of 1mm on a 200mm long straight line.

So far i see that the planner might be the wrong place. But I still have to get more familiar with the code of marlin winking smiley
Thx for the hints so far smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 06:34AM by .xack..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login