Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z probe first probe nowhere near bed?

Posted by Wibbles 
Z probe first probe nowhere near bed?
July 25, 2017 12:18PM
This is mystifying me.

Using Marlin firmware that came with my Sintron Mini Kossel, been running fine for months. Self levelling probe was doing what it is supposed to. Printing speed and quality was impressive.
Short story, changed hotend for ED3, decided to reset everything as the ED3 was shorter than the original one, and I installed bed clamps to get the bed pretty much level to the towers.
Did an M666 to get the tower Z offsets onto the Arduino.
No problems with any of that but somewhere along the way the Z probe decided to have tantrums.

It does not probe the initial probe point?
I have tried various probe settings, this is one of them, set to 3x3. They all do the same, in one area of the bed, the probe rises instead of dropping to the bed, so it records an abnormal z height.
If I set it to 8x8 it will skip probing each time it gets to that bed area, which is in front of the Z tower.

I was intending to install 1.1.4, but as 2.0 is due I thought I would hold off so that I only have to create a config.h once. The installed version was doing an excellent job, like I said it was printing perfectly until I started re-configuring it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am using a glass bed, allen key probe, no heated bed or alloy plate at all, it is clamped to the 2020 rails via printed brackets.

Cheers

Rob

SENDING:G29
Bed x: 50.00 y: -50.00 z: 93.20 <<<<<<< Problem
Bed x: 0.00 y: -50.00 z: 3.31
Bed x: -50.00 y: -50.00 z: 2.80
Bed x: -50.00 y: 0.00 z: 2.73
Bed x: 0.00 y: 0.00 z: 3.38
Bed x: 50.00 y: 0.00 z: 3.32
Bed x: 50.00 y: 50.00 z: 2.65
Bed x: 0.00 y: 50.00 z: 2.55
Bed x: -50.00 y: 50.00 z: 2.06
-0.60 -0.09 89.80
-0.67 -0.02 -0.08
-1.34 -0.85 -0.75

This is my Marlin config:

//============================= Bed Auto Leveling ===========================

#define ENABLE_AUTO_BED_LEVELING // Delete the comment to enable (remove // at the start of the line)

#ifdef ENABLE_AUTO_BED_LEVELING

// these are the positions on the bed to do the probing
#define DELTA_PROBABLE_RADIUS (DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS-30)
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION -DELTA_PROBABLE_RADIUS
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION DELTA_PROBABLE_RADIUS
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION DELTA_PROBABLE_RADIUS
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION -DELTA_PROBABLE_RADIUS

// these are the offsets to the probe relative to the extruder tip (Hotend - Probe)
#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 4.0
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -14.0
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -3.40

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOMING 4 // (in mm) Raise Z before homing (G28) for Probe Clearance.
// Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 6000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 100 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
#define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 6 //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points

//If defined, the Probe servo will be turned on only during movement and then turned off to avoid jerk
//The value is the delay to turn the servo off after powered on - depends on the servo speed; 300ms is good value, but you can try lower it.
// You MUST HAVE the SERVO_ENDSTOPS defined to use here a value higher than zero otherwise your code will not compile.

// #define PROBE_SERVO_DEACTIVATION_DELAY 300

//If you have enabled the Bed Auto Leveling and are using the same Z Probe for Z Homing,
//it is highly recommended you let this Z_SAFE_HOMING enabled!!

#define Z_SAFE_HOMING // This feature is meant to avoid Z homing with probe outside the bed area.
// When defined, it will:
// - Allow Z homing only after X and Y homing AND stepper drivers still enabled
// - If stepper drivers timeout, it will need X and Y homing again before Z homing
// - Position the probe in a defined XY point before Z Homing when homing all axis (G28)
// - Block Z homing only when the probe is outside bed area.

#ifdef Z_SAFE_HOMING

#define Z_SAFE_HOMING_X_POINT (X_MAX_LENGTH/2) // X point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28)
#define Z_SAFE_HOMING_Y_POINT (Y_MAX_LENGTH/2) // Y point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28)

#endif

// with accurate bed leveling, the bed is sampled in a ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTSxACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS grid and least squares solution is calculated
// Note: this feature occupies 10'206 byte
#define ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING

#ifdef ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING
#define ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS 3
#define ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_X ((RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION - LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION) / (ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS - 1))
#define ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_Y ((BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION - FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION) / (ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS - 1))

// NONLINEAR_BED_LEVELING means: don't try to calculate linear coefficients but instead
// compensate by interpolating between the nearest four Z probe values for each point.
// Useful for deltabots where the print surface may appear like a bowl or dome shape.
// Works best with ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS 5 or higher.
#define NONLINEAR_BED_LEVELING
#endif

#endif

//******
Re: Z probe first probe nowhere near bed?
July 25, 2017 12:49PM
Wow! You have an ancient version of Marlin on that machine. You will find the Auto Bed Leveling has become much more sophisticated over the last 2 years.

You need to grab [github.com] and cross your settings over to its Configuration.h file
July 25, 2017 01:03PM
I wouldn't argue with that, lol, but as the existing firmware was working ok (a bit of a nightmare to configure it, but hey I learned a lot about Delta printers) I had no reason to update anything. My old Smartrap is still going strong on old firmware after two years, it prints perfectly using any old PLA and a Chinese hotend.

Looking at the Github, I have to confess that although I can do a straight download of a firmware release eg 1.1.4 and flash it across, the terminology used on the Github confuses the heck out of me. What do I actually need to download on that link, what will I get, and what do I do with it? Are the downloads in one package that I simply download, eg is it a Config.h and I need to edit it before use?

I never did figure out what a clone or a commit was....moody smiley
July 25, 2017 03:44PM
Click the green button and download the zip,it will contain the whole firmware package. Yes you will need to make changes to the configuration.h before you upload the new firmware to your controller.
July 26, 2017 06:06AM
Many thanks for offering assistance, but I have found the source of the problem. It is the infamous Sintron probe. Having fitted the ED3 the fins are wider, and these interfere with the spring. This prevents silky smooth bounces, and that means the microswitch doesn't open/close reliably.

Having managed to get it working temporarily I worked my way through the entire configuration again, and ran the Escher system, and got 0.2. When it is printing properly it prints on the bed as it should do.

I now need to resolve the probe issue, which will take a bit of work, or remove the microswitch, mount it on a swivel arm at the bottom, and dispense with the allen key altogether. Will just need to reverse the polarity on the signal in Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login