Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors not moving, everything seems OK...

Posted by HugoW 
Motors not moving, everything seems OK...
August 12, 2017 11:39AM
Hi,

I wired my RAMPS 1.4 this morning and there is something amiss. But I cannot figure it out. What I have:
- RAMPS 1.4
- Marlin firmware downloaded only last week, CoreXY defined, steps per unit defined, all nice.
- A4988 drivers, set at 0,6V.
- Pronterface on the PC to try to get the machine to move.
- I checked on the A4988s, VMOT is 24V, GND is indeed the negative connector of the power source, VDD and Enable are both 5V.
- No end switches hooked up yet.

All fires up nicely, the LCD on the printer reads '3D printer ready', no errors. Via Pronterface, I can heat the hotend (I burned my finger...) and I get proper feedback of the temperature. I can also ask Pronterface to move in the X, Y an Z directions. On the LCD screen, I am told they moved the requested distance. But the motors didn't move, nothing happened. So the system thinks all is OK and it performed, while actually nothing happened.

What can I check? I could see something fail, but all drivers / motors at once I don't believe. I don't hear any humming of the motors when stationary, I did hear that on the NEMA 34s I had on my CNC router long ago. It seems the drivers just don't get signals to move.

Cheers,

Hugo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 11:40AM by HugoW.
Re: Motors not moving, everything seems OK...
August 12, 2017 03:05PM
Just tried; the motors are not energized. Their turn just as easy by hand with the system powered up, as when the system switched off. BTW, I don't have the end switches plugged in yet.

Hugo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 03:08PM by HugoW.
August 12, 2017 03:23PM
RAMPS 1.4 Assembly Guide

[www.reprap.org]

Insert jumpers to RAMPS 1.4 --------------------------------------------------- 4
August 12, 2017 03:31PM
Thanks, but they are all in there.

Hugo
August 12, 2017 03:46PM
It was worth a try! lots have forgot them.
August 12, 2017 04:02PM
Have you considered the stepper motor cable wiring.
I had a stepper cable that each pair was wired A+ to B+ and B- to A-, and I changed wire Pairs to A+ to A- and B+ to B-.

Cable makers do make mistakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 04:04PM by Roberts_Clif.
August 13, 2017 01:55AM
HugoW
I don't have the end switches plugged in yet.
Hugo

Might that be part of the problem? Try M119 to see what Marlin thinks about your endstop status...
August 14, 2017 02:58AM
Finally issue found, one bad driver. I replaced it with a similar one and now it all works.

Cheers,

Hugo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login