Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.1.7 after auto home / bed leveling raises Z 10mmsad smiley

Posted by 1800 
1.1.7 after auto home / bed leveling raises Z 10mmsad smiley
December 26, 2017 08:35AM
So I just got 1.1.7 working after upgrading from a 1.0.x version. I'm finding it very annoying that after performing auto home or bed leveling that the Z-axis raises 10mm. Is there a quick fix for this? I have looked through configuration.h and configuration_adv.h and can't determine how to correct this. I'm pretty new to the Marlin firmware.
Re: 1.1.7 after auto home / bed leveling raises Z 10mmsad smiley
December 26, 2017 09:50AM
Is this what you are looking for Configuration.h

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 09:50AM by Roberts_Clif.
December 26, 2017 12:08PM
So I tried these.

// #define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 <<<< Won't verify / Must be defined

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 0 <<<< "0" appears to be invalid per comments. Says >= "1" (Defaults to 5mm when used/tried.)

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 1 <<<< Defaults to 5mm when used.

I don't get it. I tried this yesterday but did again just to make sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 07:14PM by 1800.
December 26, 2017 01:49PM
I think this is a bug and I really think I should have the option of disabling this. I am considering moving on to 1.1.8 and see what happens.
December 27, 2017 12:02AM
The Z-Probes need some amount of clearance. Set it as low as you can without damaging your printer.

But seriously... Even a 10 mm move is nothing in the big picture. Most of my prints are 6 or 10 hours long. Is a 10 mm move on the Z-Axis to protect your printer that big of a deal?
December 27, 2017 05:52AM
It is not so much the 10mm's that is bothering me. It stems from the fact that I can't seem to get my bed dialed in now. Let me explain my leveling workflow before and after 1.1.7. Most of the time I don't go through this procedure because once I have it dialed in I don't touch it. I usually only do this if I've had it apart or am having print problems.

Before 1.1.7:
(Short version)
Perform auto home from LCD control panel
Nozzle stays at set height
Insert business card and check drag
Adjust inductive sensor up or down if needed
Auto home again
Check drag with business card
If drag is good then print (if not repeat until drag is correct)

(Long version) usually reserved for if I've had the printer apart
Nozzle stays at set height
Auto home again
Check drag with business card (repeat until correct)
Power down steppers
Manual 5 point check with card (center and all corners of bed)
Adjust bed with thumb screws
Auto home again
Print

After 1.1.7:
(Short version)
[[[[Nozzle raises 10mm
Drop nozzle 10mm from slicer control panel]]]]
Auto home again
[[[[Nozzle raises 10mm
Check drag with business card
If drag is good then print (if not repeat until drag is correct)

(Long version) usually reserved for if I've had the printer apart
[[[[Nozzle raises 10mm
Auto home again
[[[[Nozzle raises 10mm
Power down steppers
Manual 5 point check with card (center and all corners of bed)
Adjust bed with thumb screws
Auto home again
[[[[Nozzle raises 10mm
Check drag with business card (repeat until correct???)
[[[[Print..... errrr DRAG NOZZLE ACROSS BED
GO TO BED FRUSTRATED
TRY AGAIN NEXT DAY
GO TO BED FRUSTRATED
TRY AGAIN NEXT DAY
GO TO BED FRUSTRATED

Now maybe it's my workflow but it worked for me and I could do the long version in a couple of minutes. I haven't printed in 5 days now. I am so irritated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 06:34AM by 1800.
December 27, 2017 08:52AM
Well...Its good to see that entire work flow. You are obviously very serious about having the printer setup right. One of the problems with that work flow is measuring the distance between the nozzle and bed with a business card is not highly accurate.

I'm highly biased. After all... That is why I wrote the UBL bed leveling system. I thought it was needed.

If you bring up the UBL bed leveling system using the steps in the 'Cheat Sheet' here: [github.com]

Things become much easier. First, you don't need to measure the distances of the nozzle from the bed with a business card. The nozzle's pattern expands from where ever you start it for both the Auto Probing and the G26 Mesh Validation pattern. If it is getting too close to the bed, you just stop it and make a decision on how to address the problem. (For G26 it might be just to edit a few mesh points. For G29 P1 R you might decide to lower a corner of the bed.)
December 27, 2017 12:28PM
Thank you for that Roxy. I'm going to look at the setup on UBL. I'm using bi-linear at the moment. I'm being told that my as my printer (Tronxy 802MA) shipped the Z offset was set to -0.5 in the firmware and I have always ran with 0 offset in the LCD panel. I've now backed up a bit and set both back to 0. This has gotten me close but business card doesn't work anymore. I'm just making small micro adjustments to the sensor to get as close to the print bed as I can but that last adjustment seems to put me "over the top" and I crash the nozzle. I set firmware to -0.5 as was the old firmware. If I set up with the business card method and using the same drag as before I'm too high. Until I feel comfortable with setting up the UBL is there a Z offset that you would recommend in the firmware while maintaining 0 in the control panel?

Caveats...
Printing on 1.9mm glass (never been an issue for me)
Using 1.1.8 now

Thank you

****UPDATE****

So as I said at the beginning of this thread "I am new to the Marlin firmware". Everything that I have learned about the firmware has happened over the last four days. It has taken until now to even understand the hierarchy of the firmware offset vs. offset that I have entered into the panel. So I'm not saying it is right but this is what has gotten printing again. I set the firmware offset to 0 for now because now I understand that the entry into LCD apparently supersedes the firmware. I entered -0.35 into the panel (the thickness of a business card BTW). I just got a perfect print.

So now the question(s) are these. What are the repercussions of this setup? What is the significance of setting the Z offset in the firmware if the panel takes precedence. Any feedback is welcome. At present and being "a noob" (don't let Joe fool you) setting up UBL seems daunting to me....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 02:47PM by 1800.
December 28, 2017 12:48PM
My suggestion would be to turn off all bed leveling. And get the Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER number correct so you can home in the center of the bed, and print a small object there. Perhaps a 20mm calibration cube.
When you can do that (with no bed leveling turned on or built into the firmware), then you are ready to turn on UBL and follow those steps in the 'Cheat Sheet'. If you do this, you have have a 95% chance of getting a fully qualified, fine tuned mesh the first time.
December 29, 2017 02:55PM
I'm going to try this as soon as I get some prints out the way. Thank you for all of your help Roxy.
July 15, 2018 01:57PM
how can i give a Z Offset as the bed is still moving 10mm after homing in the HyperCube Evolution I have built.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login