Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD Card Menu on CR-10S

Posted by BSBMX 
SD Card Menu on CR-10S
January 13, 2018 02:14PM
I have replaced the original firmware on my CR-10S with Marlin 1.1.7. I have gotten all the settings the way I want them except the SD card menu. On the original firmware, there were Change, Initialize, and Refresh options along with Print from SD (I'm going off memory here...I think that's what they were called). I can print from an SD card, and it works fine, but I no longer have the change/initialize/refresh options available. I'd like to get these options back so that I don't have to power down and power back up whenever I add something new to the SD card.

What options or code am I missing in Marlin 1.1.7 for these SD features?
Re: SD Card Menu on CR-10S
January 14, 2018 06:53PM
Yeah I would like this too. I dug through config and config adv and didn't find anything config wise to enable/disagle it or any reference to that functioonality.
January 27, 2018 11:57AM
I finally found something that made it work. Not sure if this is "the fix" or not, but it worked for me, and I'm on 1.1.7.

Under configuration_adv.h, uncomment #define SD_DETECT_INVERTED, and under pins_RAMPS.h, change #define SD_DETECT_PIN from 49 to -1 (yes, negative 1).

After reflashing that, and power down/up, I had the "Change SD" option again under the main menu, and "Refresh" was available under the Print from SD option. I can remove the SD card, plug it back in, and be able to print without needing to power down/up.
January 28, 2018 07:02PM
One thing to be mentioned, there are 6 occurrences of "#define SD_DETECT_PIN 49" in the pins_RAMPS.h file. It's the one in the "#if ENABLED(REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER)" if block. And in my case "#define SD_DETECT_INVERTED" was already uncommented.

That said I tried this in 1.1.8 and it appears to be working the same as BSBMX mentioned. Where the "Print from SD" is in the menu right under it there is now "Change SD card". However highlighting and invoking "Change SD card" when an SD is indeed present provides no feedback that it did anything.

If a USB connection it still active say to the Windows box where Marlin is compiled and uploaded from I got this behavior. Highlight "Change SD card", click on it, remove the SD card, then reinstalling the SD card will cause the Windows box to beep indicating USB disconnection and the controller will then reboot.

If the controller does not have the USB connection to the Windows box connected and active then clicking on "Change SD card", removing the SD card, then reinstalling the SD card the controller did not then reboot. You can then enter the "Print from SD" menu where you now have a Refresh option and proceed to invoke it where you will then see the files on the SD card.
January 28, 2018 07:50PM
Although the above did add the ability to change the SD without powering down the controller, thanks to another forum that mentioned this in 1.1.7 I think this is the root cause and it turns out to be coding error also in 1.1.8.

I set #define SD_DETECT_PIN back to 49 in pins_RAMPS.h and made this change in ultralcd.cpp:

# cat ultralcd.cpp-diff
1000c1000
< #if !PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
---
> #if PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
1007c1007
< #if !PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
---
> #if PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)

Changed !PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT) to PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT) on lines 1000 and 1007. This is for Marlin 1.1.8 and will most likely be different for other versions of Marlin.

These are the two things that changed and you can see they're for changing and initing the SD card. Tested it and am using it in 1.1.8.
          //#if !PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
          #if PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
            MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_CNG_SDCARD, PSTR("M21"));  // SD-card changed by user
          #endif

//#if !PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
        #if PIN_EXISTS(SD_DETECT)
          MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_INIT_SDCARD, PSTR("M21")); // Manually initialize the SD-card via user interface
        #endif
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login