Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calculating Steps/mm

Posted by 3DNublet 
Calculating Steps/mm
March 07, 2018 03:36PM
Hi, I am currently calibrating my 3D printer using Triffig's guide. I wanted to Double check the values that I am using. In the formula for calculating steps per mm:

Steps per mm = (Motor Steps per Revolution * Driver Microstep) / (Belt Pitch * Pully Number of Teeth)

My Stepper Motors have 1.8 degrees = 200
Belt Pitch = 2 (GT2 belt)
Pully Number of Teeth = 20

Now, the Driver Microstep is where I wanted to double check on. I'm using the Einsy Rambo 1.1, on their site it says "Trinamic TMC2130 1/256th microstep motor drivers" so am I to use 256 as my Driver Microstep? I come up with some awfully big numbers as my Steps per mm.

Steps per mm = (200*256)/(2*20)
Steps per mm = 1280
Re: Calculating Steps/mm
March 07, 2018 03:41PM
Also, my belt pitch I'm a little confused on. I'm using the belt from my Ender-4, best I can tell it is using 'Creality 3D 5M 2GT-6mm Synchronous Belt Open Timing Belt For 3D Printer', I'm I using the correct value for belt pitch as 2?
March 07, 2018 04:21PM
Using this calculator I get 160: [www.prusaprinters.org].

But that is with 32 uStepping. 256 sounds our of this world. It looks like using 2 for your belt pitch looks correct yes.

Try this thread as a start: [forums.reprap.org] - have you looked for similar questions on here?

Lastly, empirical testing will show you the way, in my opinion. By changing these values you should see the difference practically. If you do opt for this route I would suggest alwyas moving the same amount of distance and see how far you really move. Then you can do a backward calculation and see if 1280 is a legitimate value.

Just my two cents, good luck.
March 07, 2018 05:03PM
Trinamic TMC2130 uses interpolated stepping, you dont use that in the maths, you use the physical microstepping.

This is normally set to 1/16th micro stepping. Internal this is scaled to 1/256 but for maths you use 1/16

ie 80 step/mm
March 07, 2018 05:57PM
Ok, thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login