Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading from V1.1 to V2.0 benefits

Posted by iamturbo1978 
Upgrading from V1.1 to V2.0 benefits
April 04, 2018 11:22AM
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what are the current tangible benefits for upgrading from V1.1 to V2.0, using the same 8-bit hardware. From what I have found is that LIN_ADVANCE has been changed to work better.

I know V2.0 is setup to run on 32-bit hardware, and that in it self would be a large tangible improvement, since V1.1 does not have 32-bit support. But that is not the purpose of this post.

So my question is; Using 8-bit hardware, what benefits would someone experience by upgrading from V1.1 to V2.0?

Thanks
Re: Upgrading from V1.1 to V2.0 benefits
April 05, 2018 03:42PM
They stated on their Github that the v2.0 adds a layer to differentiate between 8bit and 32bit boards. Features wise 1.1.8 and v2.0 should be identical.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/bugfix-2.0.x
Marlin 2.0 adds a new abstraction layer so that Marlin can build and run on 32-bit boards while still retaining the ability to build and run on 8-bit AVR. In this way, new features can be enhanced for more powerful platforms while still supporting AVR, whereas splitting up the code makes it hard to follow these changes and keep them in sync.

With 8bit 16Mhz microchip struggling with Delta and CoreXY frames I can only speculate that constant "am I 8bit board or 32bit board?" will only cause an unnecessary stress.

Proud owner and maker of build from scratch FDM 3D printer [forums.reprap.org]
April 11, 2018 04:48PM
Rossos
With 8bit 16Mhz microchip struggling with Delta and CoreXY frames I can only speculate that constant "am I 8bit board or 32bit board?" will only cause an unnecessary stress.

All of the "am I an 8 bit or 32 bit board" stuff is resolved at compile time (the same way different board pinouts and such are currently resolved in 1.1.x) so this should have no effect on performance.
March 05, 2020 04:05AM
So one question here: If I want to use the current 2.0.4.4 with my 8 bit board I can do this and also keep using the Arduino software to upload, right?

Is it worth a try when having an 8 year old Orcabot 0.43 with a gen 6 deluxe 8 bit board without bedleveling, fan support and all the fancy stuff or am I better off with the 1.1.9 version?

Thanks for some advice.
March 05, 2020 07:16AM
So you want to live in the future but keep your stone age tools.... ???

Well It mostly depends on what processor your controller has. (I've not heard of the "deluxe" gen 6)
If you have a 644p, forget 2.0 It will not fit
If you have a 1284p you can use arduino IDE but you should use vscode and platformio, it produces smaller code
If you have a mega 2560 you can use either, you have more resources so either is fine.
March 05, 2020 12:27PM
On the chip it said:

ATMEL
ATMEGA 644P
20AU 1048

So I go with 1.1.9, right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login