Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rumba atmega2560 w/Merlin firmware

Posted by bricelee 
Rumba atmega2560 w/Merlin firmware
April 12, 2018 06:41PM
I have a Rumba Atmega 2560 board and I've installed Marlin Firmware(latest). I have a TFT LCD Touch (ILI9488). I know that the LCD screen is for Arduino Uno but I was curious to see if I could connect it to my Rumba board, is it possible? And if so, how would I go about it, and what would I have to change within Marlin to work with the LCD screen?

This is the exact LCD but not the place I bought it from--here
Re: Rumba atmega2560 w/Merlin firmware
April 12, 2018 09:19PM
When the mega2560 is already busy being a printer, it doesn't have enough cpu remaining to look after a screen like this. It can barely handle a 128x64 (and in delta mode this causes skipping if you dont lower the screen update rate)

Other high res LCD and touch are actually computers that do the display and only send gcode back to the reprap controller.
April 12, 2018 09:27PM
So is there a way to connect the LCD to an Arduino Uno R3, and then connect the Uno to the Rumba?
April 13, 2018 12:52AM
That should be possible, but no out of the box solution exists

one limitation is The UNO has only one hardware UART. you really want two, but software serial may work well enough.

This would be like a tft32 display though, lots of touch buttons that do stuff (actions result in gcode being sent to reprap controller or vs versa), not like inbuilt glcd display you may have seen)

This may help [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2018 12:53AM by Dust.
April 13, 2018 09:43AM
So I could ideally use the lcd touch with an Uno and send gcode back to the rumba? As I understand it though, I would then have to create custom code in marlin for this?
April 13, 2018 11:11AM
No, you just use already existing gcode. [reprap.org]

There is a gcode for just about everything, or a combination of several.

most of the time It would be simply spooling gcode from the sd card to the rumba
April 13, 2018 11:23AM
So how would I go about connecting the Uno to the Rumba, usb?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login