Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is my part cooling fan haunted ?

Posted by DaSt 
Is my part cooling fan haunted ?
May 18, 2018 04:20PM
Hi there,

I'm using a modified Anet A8 with auto leveling and a RAMP 1.4 board. Marlin 1.1.8.

My part cooling fan is powering on at 100% by itself when heating begins, or sometimes when the bed reaches 50° or so...
It goes on during the auto leveling process.

It shuts down when the printing begins as I have a M107 command on my startup script, but then it get back to 100% during first layer (where it should be off). Starting at the second layer, it stays at 40% power as it should.

I could not find any good reason for this behavior in the configuration.h file.

Any idea ?

Thanks !
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (65.3 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (63.4 KB)
Re: Is my part cooling fan haunted ?
May 18, 2018 04:50PM
It appears that your Configuration files are setup correctly.

What setting do you have on your slicer program.
May 19, 2018 03:49AM
I'm using Simplify3D just like i did before Marlin (didnt have that issue at the time) with 0% power for first layer and 40% power starting at layer 2.

Thanks
May 20, 2018 08:06AM
Hi,

With some more testing i can confirm that heating the bed if powering on the fan. Heating the hotend alone does not.
May 22, 2018 01:59PM
Make sure that none of the tabs on the RAMPS MOSFETs are touching each other. If they do when one MOSFET activates the touching MOSFET will also activate. I had this problem with almost exactly the same symptoms you're experiencing and I've seen at least two other people with the same problem - just bending the MOSFETs to ensure that they do not touch each other should solve this issue.

EDIT: Actually, my symptom was the opposite - whenever the fan turned on the heatbed would also turn on. But the solution is the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 02:52PM by MMcLure.
May 22, 2018 03:02PM
MMcLure
Make sure that none of the tabs on the RAMPS MOSFETs are touching each other. If they do when one MOSFET activated the touching MOSFET will also activate. I had this problem with almost exactly the same symptoms you're experiencing and I've seen at least two other people with the same problem - just bending the MOSFETs to ensure that they do not touch each other should solve this issue.

EDIT: Actually, my symptom was the opposite - whenever the fan turned on the heatbed would also turn on. But the solution is the same.

Hi there,

Indeed the three of them were touching each other... Silly me not to pay attention du that during the wiring part...

And Kudos to you since a first test i just did tends to show that the issue is resolved. I'll try again in a few days when the printer is fully reassembled again (waiting for a new hotend) and confirm then.

Thanks smiling smiley
May 22, 2018 05:27PM
MMcLure
Make sure that none of the tabs on the RAMPS MOSFETs are touching each other. If they do when one MOSFET activates the touching MOSFET will also activate.

This is one reason I installed an aluminum Heat Sink Bar with insulator kits. (I have a different Board but still similar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 05:28PM by Roberts_Clif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login