Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2130 Just not working

Posted by mericanpi 
TMC2130 Just not working
May 19, 2018 06:06AM
Hi there
I've set upon the task of installing TMC2130s to a Ramps 1.4 system. I've followed every guide, wired it up correctly, and configured everything I can find in Marlin.

The solder jumpers are set correctly. I've fiddled with every setting I know how to do. I've even adjusted the current potentiometers.

1) I suspect the chip endstops are not working correctly. If it homes it tends to grind into the limit for a few seconds.

2) When I hit home, the steppers just buzz for a bit, then the system slows then move a little (about 20mm).

In Pronterface I can get it to move in all directions, the stealth chop works great. There seems to be plenty of torque in the motors. I built this printer around the TMC2130, doing away with the conventional endstops.

Can anyone give me any hints to help me forward on this?

Many thanks
Re: TMC2130 Just not working
May 19, 2018 06:32AM
How have you connect this?

Have you verified that SPI communication is working?

Have you looked at M122 [marlinfw.org]
NB "Need to have TMC_DEBUG enabled in Configuration_adv.h."

Have you disabled endstop pullups in firmware? (I believe this is needed, but cant be 100%... sure, was a while ago)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 06:35AM by Dust.
May 19, 2018 07:01AM
Thank you, Dust
If I pull an SPI pin I get a heap of error messages. It is the only verification I know how to find. Can you suggest a better way?

I have just disabled the pull-up - but still lets me grind past the stop.
May 19, 2018 07:24AM
Well I have no idea how you have wired it, and your remarkably proficient at being as vague as possible

I dont know what guide you followed, but I know this one works

[toms3d.org]

This is the most important part, when it comes to endstops

But this does presume your using X min, Y min and Z min endstops. You may need to adjust as needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 07:26AM by Dust.
May 19, 2018 08:31AM
I'm sorry, I should have given more info.
Yes, this is the diagram I used, as well as the second page with the SPI wiring. (Thomas Sanladerer's youtube).

Today I tried Chris Ryley's guide to configuring Marlin (I had the same problem with Tom's, thought I'd try another run-through by someone else). I also set up the stepper current using Mytechtips. (another youtube)

I've tried two sets of drivers, I've replaced my RAMPS and Arduino (genuine).

I honestly don't know where to go from here.
May 19, 2018 10:27AM
Hi, Again Dust
I just want to confirm I am using x and y min pins
May 22, 2018 02:35AM
It's been a few days, I guess either nobody has any clue, or just aren't interested.

I know I didn't explain myself well to begin with, I've been tinkering on this for a month or so (hence having time to order parts and try them) and apart from getting the stealthchop to work (it didn't initially) I couldn't figure out why the endstops weren't functioning. This is my second 3d printer build, my first ran A4988s. The vagueness of my report probably lends itself to the time it has taken to get this all going. I have followed countless guides and tried everything I can think of - coming to the forum was my last ditch effort.

Are there any diagnostics I can run on the chip to determine what is going on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 02:35AM by mericanpi.
May 22, 2018 04:17AM
diagnostics

Dust from first reply
Have you looked at M122 [marlinfw.org]
NB "Need to have TMC_DEBUG enabled in Configuration_adv.h."

all the registers from the TMC you could want, and then some.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 04:19AM by Dust.
May 23, 2018 11:43PM
Thank you, Dust. Yes, it is enabled, always has been. At this time I only get the console messages on pronterface. I mentioned that if I unplugged an SPI cable I got a list of error messages, so I assume that it is working to a point. Does the terminal window deliver all the log messages that come from the chip?

If this is the case, the chip is registering no errors and no boundaries reached, and I need to find another source for my chips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login