Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller: Tevo Tarantula

Posted by Esinem 
Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller: Tevo Tarantula
June 07, 2018 01:47PM
Let me start by saying I'm a not very technical newbie. I have a Tarantula which I finally managed to update Jim Brown's Tevo Tarantula easy config from GitHub. Even that was a struggle with my level of knowledge!

My Tarantula is large bed with an MKS Gen L V1.0 board and LP fan duct. I have connected and mounted my 3DTouch, it seems to be responding and, on the plus side, it hasn't started smoking or anything. It has, however, parked itself in the middle of the bed and a few inches above. My problem is how to correctly set up configuration.h I think I have the probe offset pretty much right but I'm guessing that it needs to be told where it should start from or something?

Whilst I can see that certain parameters need to be changed and values supplied, I have no idea what they should be or how to ascertain them. I have tried various configurations but I seem to be correcting one error only to get another. Is there any chance anyone has a configuration.h that would work or can somebody help me set up mine as I'm personally beinning to fail the Sanity Check! Failing that, an Idiot's Guide that presupposes no geekiness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 01:48PM by Esinem.
Re: Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller: Tevo Tarantula. Help!!
June 07, 2018 08:44PM
I just tried again. This is the error I got:

In file included from sketch\MarlinConfig.h:41:0,

from sketch\G26_Mesh_Validation_Tool.cpp:27:

SanityCheck.h:1202: error: #error "Enable USE_XMIN_PLUG when homing X to MIN."

#error "Enable USE_XMIN_PLUG when homing X to MIN."

^

SanityCheck.h:866: error: static assertion failed: LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.

static_assert(LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION >= MIN_PROBE_X, "LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.");

^

SanityCheck.h:869: error: static assertion failed: BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.

static_assert(BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION <= MAX_PROBE_Y, "BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.");

^

exit status 1
#error "Enable USE_XMIN_PLUG when homing X to MIN."

I am not sure what that menas but I'm guessing it needs some kind of reference point? Have I omitted something vital (and probably really obvious...if you know what you're doing)?
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (82.4 KB)
Re: Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller: Tevo Tarantula
June 08, 2018 09:35AM

// @section homing

// Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
// Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
//#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

You don't have any X or Y endstops enabled, uncomment the ones you need,
Xmin if x endstop is on the left of carriage Xmax if endstop is on the right
Ymin if Yendstop is at the back of the bed, Ymax its at the front

#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]

This value is the distance that the nozzle is away from the bed surface when the bltouch triggers, (sets Z0 too nozzle touching bed after homing Z)
June 08, 2018 03:07PM
Thank you, obewan. OK, endstops makes sense. However, I'm not sure how to work out the distance that the nozzle is away from the bed surface when the bltouch (It's actuall a 3dTouch but assume it's teh same?) triggers. Is that in mm? Not sure what signifies triggering or how best to measure it. Any suggestions? Will have a play meanwhile.
June 08, 2018 03:38PM
OK, I tried that but I still get an error compiling. This is the error:

In file included from sketch\MarlinConfig.h:41:0,

from sketch\G26_Mesh_Validation_Tool.cpp:27:

SanityCheck.h:866: error: static assertion failed: LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.

static_assert(LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION >= MIN_PROBE_X, "LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.");

^

SanityCheck.h:869: error: static assertion failed: BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.

static_assert(BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION <= MAX_PROBE_Y, "BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.");

^

exit status 1
static assertion failed: LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION is outside the probe region.

I guessed #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER as 4. This was with probe extended and just touching. However, I doubt that's causing the error. The 3DTouch is flashing. Have attached current confuguration.h
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (84.6 KB)
June 10, 2018 12:09PM
The good news: Setting PROBE_BED_POSITION allowed it to upload. However, as I have no idea how to determine the parameters, they are undoubtedly wholly inaccurate.

The bad news: The BL Touch opitions on the menu don't seem to do anything My printer homes to the middle of the bed and nowhere near the surface. It doesn't seem to print anything anymore  

I think I missed out on centering the printer (https://github.com/JimBrown/MarlinTarantula/wiki/How-to-center-your-prints-(EasyConfig)) and am trying to do that but I get a BT Touch error telling me to restart with M999

Any suggestions? Should I just start again with a clean configuration.h?

PS If anyone is curious how far I can throw a Tevo Tarantula, watch this space! :-(
June 10, 2018 06:57PM
As far as centring the bed goes, I have always set this in the slicing program, where you set the bed size there is usually a setting for bed centre.
Concerning the probe, ones that I used before, you set the offset in marlin bed levelling section, then adjust it in the control program.
you can always throw it my wayhot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 06:58PM by erniehatt.
June 11, 2018 03:19AM
It's bloody confusing all the places you can set parameters and even how to work out what they are/wher you measure them from
June 11, 2018 05:32PM
Tell me about it, someone once said life was not meant to be easy, why do they always have to be right.angry smiley
This is not making me feel to confident about trying to set mine up.
[www.geeetech.com].
Have a look at this it may help

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 11:57PM by erniehatt.
June 12, 2018 07:01PM
I give up!
June 12, 2018 07:45PM
Hang in there Mate.
I am sure things will come good eventually.
I am still in the process of rebuilding my printer, waiting for bits and pieces to arrive from China, when it all comes I am sure we can work it together..
June 13, 2018 07:04AM
erniehatt
Hang in there Mate.
I am sure things will come good eventually.
I am still in the process of rebuilding my printer, waiting for bits and pieces to arrive from China, when it all comes I am sure we can work it together..

I do hope so but meanwhile I'm reverting to manual; levelling so at least I have a working printer and I won't personally fail the Sanity Check
June 13, 2018 08:37AM
When I am ready I will PM you.
June 14, 2018 12:43PM
erniehatt
When I am ready I will PM you.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login