Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.8 Heating failed error

Posted by Gaz83 
Marlin 1.1.8 Heating failed error
June 29, 2018 05:03PM
I have ben converting my duplicator i3 to an MKS GEN 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.8 and every so often I get Errors about heating.

Tonight I tried doing the PID autotuned for the heatbed. I used Repetier host to do it, walked away for a bit and came back to this message

A fatal error on the printer side stopped the printer until the error is fixed. Printer message:

Error:Heating failed, system stopped!
Heater_ID: bed

I used this command: M303 E-1 C8 S90

Looks like it hit 80 degrees when the error came up. I have seen it happen once or twice when warming up for a print.
Re: Marlin 1.1.8 Heating failed error
July 01, 2018 04:39PM
I just had the same thing happen for the extruder:

"A fatal error on the printer side stopped the printer until the error is fixed. Printer message:

Error: Heating failed, system stopped.

Heater_ID:0 "

I am just getting my printer running after having assembled it and have run the extruder up to 230 deg C. I then told it to go to 250, but when it got to about 230 this error appeared. The next time it faulted out a few degrees cooler, then a few more... the last time it faulted out at 115.
July 01, 2018 09:40PM
@geball

I would guess you have cooked your thermistor

A lot of them only go to 230
July 03, 2018 06:10AM
Hi Gaz3 and Geball

I had the same problem and solved it by going to config adv and changed the following settings:

#define WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD 40 //seconds
#define WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE 4 //ºC

#define WATCH_BED_TEMP_PERIOD 90 //seconds
#define WATCH_BED_TEMP_INCREASE 2 //ºC

If you increase WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD by 50 or 60% your problem is fixed and if not decrease WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE.

The first one is related with nozzle and the second one for the bed.

Hope it can solve your problem

Regards
Sacramento
July 13, 2018 08:29AM
Cheers Sacramento

I will give it ago tonight
December 26, 2018 03:39PM
Gaz83
Cheers Sacramento

I will give it ago tonight
Did this fix your problem?
February 01, 2019 10:17AM
Sacramento
Hi Gaz3 and Geball

I had the same problem and solved it by going to config adv and changed the following settings:

#define WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD 40 //seconds
#define WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE 4 //ºC

#define WATCH_BED_TEMP_PERIOD 90 //seconds
#define WATCH_BED_TEMP_INCREASE 2 //ºC

If you increase WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD by 50 or 60% your problem is fixed and if not decrease WATCH_TEMP_INCREASE.

The first one is related with nozzle and the second one for the bed.

Hope it can solve your problem

Regards
Sacramento

I too am having issues with 1.1.8 and random heater failures during a print. In my case, the failures usually come during the heating up phase. A previously used (much older) version of Marlin 1.x did not have these failures. I have matched what correlated between the old and 1.1.8 and after running PID tune on both the head and the bed have changed from always failing to sometimes failing, but have yet to get the blasted thing to work reliably. I have modified the values you show here, which might have affected things, but it is hard to say because of the random nature of the failure.

I run from Octoprint so have the chart of temperatures on the screen that give me some clues about what is going on, but... I have seen what looks like the measured temperature from the bed spike to zero and then come back, I think that would cause a heater failure/kill to happen, but am not sure. The older firmware does not do this, so either this is some artifact of the Octoprint/Marlin connection or some setting that I have tweaked causes an occasional firmware glitch that reports an incorrect temperature.

I am still scratching my head trying to characterize the failure mode better.
More as I know it...

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login