Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creating Custom Kinematics in Marlin

Posted by Garth_42 
Creating Custom Kinematics in Marlin
August 05, 2018 10:47PM
Hey everyone,

I am exploring creating a 3D printer with an experimental motion platform. As such, I would need to alter Marlin's kinematics from the options it already has.

I have some experience with the C language, but I am not experienced enough to be able to easily reverse engineer Marlin's source code without serious difficulty. I was hoping that someone on the forums would be able to shed some light as to how Marlin "works" so that I would be able to cut and paste forward and reverse kinematic algs (or tell me why that wouldn't work) so I could implement an experimental motion system.

Any help or recommendations are appreciated.

Much Thanks,

Garth_42
Re: Creating Custom Kinematics in Marlin
August 06, 2018 07:51PM
You need to have a very strong C background to make changes to Marlin. And even that is just a start. You also need a very strong understanding of Real Time embedded control devices and communications.

I suggest you describe your kinematic's to us and get consensus that it makes sense to prototype it.
August 07, 2018 01:01AM
Roxy,

Thanks for replying.

I was planning on building a hexapod motion system for a 3D printer. I was hoping to be able to modify Marlin so that it could accept any custom motion system just by configuring a setting for advanced motion systems and then input the algs for it.

Again, I am not sure how the motion is implemented in Marlin and therefore not sure about the feasibility of this feature. I am interested in looking into this further though, so if you have a good resource for building up some background knowledge that would be appreciated if nothing else.

Thanks,
Garth_42
September 05, 2018 05:01PM
Can someone provide a link to documentation about the kinematics of the Hangprinter?
We are trying to understand if we need to remix the Hangprinter's code or write new code for a more generic ''suspended (planar) cable parallel robot''.

See the Hangprinter's Merlin.h file
[gitlab.com]

See our project here.
[www.sensorica.co]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 05:03PM by Tibi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login