Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.9 - SD Card not working after update

Posted by Antpsy 
Marlin 1.1.9 - SD Card not working after update
October 25, 2018 03:44AM
Hi all!

After playing for a while with my Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B and optimizing / upgrading several mechanical aspects, I want to add a BLTouch Sensor. So I got one, mounted it, did the cabling and update the firmware to latest (as of today) Marlin, which shows 1.1.9 at boot. Surprisingly, the BLTouch seems to work out of the box with the supplied configuration.h from appropriate Geeetech configuration example subdirectory that comes with the Marlin firmware.

However, now my SD Cards are not recognized anymore. I did some research (of course!) and made sure that SDSUPPORT is _not_ commented out and also had a look at some of the configuration options in the advanced configuration file. I also tried flashing a marlin 1.1.8 that comes ready modified from the geeetech site, but surprisingly that suffers from the same issue - SD Cards are not recognized anymore. I also tried to do a low-level format and tested another SD Card (both of which I could print of for months until now). I also tested some modifications for changes in auto init of SD Cards as suggested in some online forums, but rolled back those changes as they did not have any impact on the issue.

Please find attached the configuration files I've modified and use, maybe someone is willing to help me identify the problem smiling smiley Thanks in advance!

Printer: Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B
Board: GT2650 A+
Marlin version: 1.1.9
SDCard Slot: Attached to LCD Panel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 03:54AM by Antpsy.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (72.3 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (69 KB)
Re: Marlin 1.1.9 - SD Card not working after update
October 25, 2018 08:13AM
Have you done other hardware changes, besides connecting the BLtouch?

Your BL-touch are connected to which pins?

Does the SDcard start working again if you remove the BLtouch?
October 25, 2018 01:03PM
Hi!

The SDCard slot stopped working after I flashed the firmware to Marlin 1.1.9 and _before_ I even connected the BL Touch. Now it is connected, tho, according to the readme in "~\Marlin-1.1.x\Marlin\example_configurations\Geeetech\Prusa i3 Pro B":

readme.md
Unlike suggested in geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/3DTouch_Auto_Leveling_Sensor, the existing end stop switch is expected to be kept connected to Z_MIN. So, the sensor is to be connected to Z_MAX, according to Marlin's default settings. Furthermore, GT2560-A+ provides a connector for the servo next to thermistor connectors (see GT2560 and GT2560-A+).

All the changes are mechanical of nature (Z-axis bearings and the likes) and there are no modifications on the mainboard. I had an additional fan connected but removed that to install the BLTouch.

For Marlin, I just rememberd I probably enabled "#define XY_SKEW_FACTOR 0.0" as per instructions in the readme.md file... but since I'm now supposed to print a calibration square I assume that should not disable the SDCard slot.

Edit:
I just remember someone once mentioned to me that compiling and uploading from the latest Arduino IDE does not really work even tho not throwing errors; Should I probably use an older Arduino IDE like 1.0.1?

Edit2:
Nevermind, Marlin 1.1.9 requires way newer IDE and cpp smiling smiley

Edit3:
Partial success! I've connected with repetier host and sent "M21" and voilá, content of the card is shown and I can now print from it. So it appears that only the "auto init" of the SDCard is not done when the printer is turned on. Anyone a clue how to get the SDCard init to work at boot again? smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 03:37PM by Antpsy.
October 30, 2018 02:51PM
[Fixed]
Took me a while, but with lots of research I figured out what to do. It appears that the autodetect pin is not available for this board at all, and come to think of it, I had to power-cycle the printer every time I switched SDCard as there was no other way to get it recognized, before I even changed the firmware the first time. So now knowing that autodetect is not working anyway, the fix was to find out how to enable "Init SD Card" or something alike as an option on the printer's display (As I want it stand-alone and normally don't have a computer connected to it).

In the file pins_GT2560_REV_A.h , I commented out the following lines
//#define SD_DETECT_PIN 38
//#define SD_DETECT_PIN -1

Also really useful was to enable the M503 command, which can be done in the configuration.h file by commenting out the following line:
//#define DISABLE_M503

So... after a lot of fiddling around, my Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B is now working with BLTouch and can "refresh" SDCards by software menu without a power-cycle grinning smiley Yay!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login