Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z motors repeatedly interrupted

Posted by nali 
Z motors repeatedly interrupted
October 30, 2018 11:20AM
Hi

I have a pretty odd problem. I have an elderly Mendel fitted with RAMPS 1.4 which has been out of use for a while, so I decided to give it a clean up and get it going again. As part of this I decided to upgrade the Marlin firmware, Slic3r, Pronterface etc.

Now the printer basically works - except for this issue affecting the Z motors*. Basically I can connect, move XYZ no problem but shortly after homing the Z motors begin to "tick" every second or so... it feels like they are being de-energised for short pulses. If I move the Z axis it repeatedly pauses, sometimes it squeals when it tries to restart.

The X & Y axis don't suffer - in fact they are quite happy moving while the Z axis is stuttering away.

I've used v1.1 and the latest bugfix. The old v1.0 is OK though.

Any ideas? I can put the old version back, although I'd like to update it if possible.

* Dual motors, but in parallel with a single driver. Also I don't have auto leveling enabled FWIW.
Re: Z motors repeatedly interrupted
October 31, 2018 12:41AM
Ticking is normally the vref is to high and the stepper drivers are shutting down to protect themselves, over and over.
[SOLVED] Z motors repeatedly interrupted
October 31, 2018 03:27PM
That's it, thanks! Obviously the firmware upgrade was a great big red herring then.

Turning the stepper current down a bit stops the shutdown. So it looks like next job is to add some cooling to the boards and check the driver currents (no idea how they're set up as I bought the printer secondhand).

Regards
Re: [SOLVED] Z motors repeatedly interrupted
November 01, 2018 03:49PM
For Pololu drivers: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login