Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can a BLTouch Sensor die?

Posted by FricoRico 
Can a BLTouch Sensor die?
November 08, 2018 04:02AM
Hey y'all,

I have been running a Wanhao Duplicator 6 Plus Mark II in combination with a BLTouch sensor and Marlin 1.1.x for quite some time now. But sadly yesterday something died after finishing a print.

It seems that my BLTouch sensor no longer reports that it is closed. Running M119 command shows it's always in the open position. I tried reflashing Marlin, different versions even bugfix-2.x.x. This didn't help the nozzle would simply just crash into the bed. I measured all wires and ribbon cables to see if it made contact, which it did.

This morning I connected some breadboard with a switch to see if the motherboard is still okay. When using engaging the mechanical switch the M119 command returns triggered state again. And open when the switch is not engaged.

Is it possible for my BLTouch sensor to have died? I returned to a 24v Capacitive Sensor again, but in my previous experiences this was not so accurate.

Thanks for your consideration!
Re: Can a BLTouch Sensor die?
November 08, 2018 04:44AM
You cant check a bltouch with M119 It is only triggered for 5 ms or so, enough for the controller to see, but not long enough for a human to catch

from [locxess.de]
"NOTES M119 can’t be used to see the state of the sensor end stop as the signal is only 5ms long (A CRO might work)"

Yes it can die, all electronics can die... and it does sound like it has died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 05:08AM by Dust.
Re: Can a BLTouch Sensor die?
November 08, 2018 07:16AM
Thanks for your response Dust, I have made a guarantee claim at the webshop where I bought it. I hope I will receive my new sensor soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login