Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

developer documentation

Posted by mngr 
developer documentation
November 08, 2018 10:51AM
Hi, everyone!

I am writing a comparison between various firmware for machine control, a comparison made with the eyes of a developer.
So, I want to consider the structures behind these firmwares; in order to read GCode and control a machine the firmware must have an interpreter, a trajectory planner, it must adapt to various kinematics, and control the motion accordingly.
It's easy to know that the end of the chain (generating steps) must be on an MCU (someone uses an FPGA for the stepgen, but it is just for that).
I want to compare Firmwares like Marlin and Smoothieware, that run completely on a MCU, and Software like Klipper that moves part of the chain on a Linux (running on a RPi), and LinuxCNC/Machinekit that were born on Linux (using a real time kernel), and have barely the stepgen out of it.

Doing this comparison I would like to show some graph like that
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/code/code-notes.html#_architecture_overview
It shows all the pieces of the CNC stack in LinuxCNC and how they are connected to each other.
In the documentation of Marlin I couldn't find anything like that, and I started reading the code to understand the whole structure.

Is there here some developer is interested in this kind of documentation, and maybe that can help me with this?

Regards,
mngr
Re: developer documentation
November 08, 2018 11:15AM
Marlin is also being redeveloped for 32 bit platforms ie marlin v2 which changes things a lot... so that is something else to consider.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login