Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin settings for TFT?

Posted by HugoW 
Marlin settings for TFT?
November 17, 2018 07:24AM
Hi,
I are many people hooking up a tft screen to the aux1 of a ramps like board. I connected mine but it doesn't light up or function. What should I change to the firmware?

Thanks,

Hugo
Re: Marlin settings for TFT?
November 17, 2018 08:20AM
presuming your meaning a mks TFT, yes its very common

you say ramps like..... this worries me..

On a real ramps you have to enable external power on the TFT, the ramps has insufficient power on the 5v line.

It should always power up and display the interface.

the TFT uses D0/D1 also known as RX0/TX0 and talks serial, so needs the baud rate of the TFT to match the baud rate of controller.
You have to have serial port 0 in the firmware. (this is the default)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 08:46AM by Dust.
November 17, 2018 02:29PM
Thanks! I'll go and try the baud rate and serial port.

My RAMPS is powered by 24V and I kept the diode in place, so that also feeds the MEGA. I replaced the voltage regulator with a 7805CV, which should be able to provide 1,5A. I have a TFT3.2, which I think doesn't have the jumper to chose external power. If it really doesn't handle the power I need to cut the wires and feed it separate.

Hugo
November 17, 2018 07:45PM
one of these [www.aliexpress.com]

which in the description says "But can’t work with Ramps1.4."
November 18, 2018 06:18AM
Well, min came with an SBase board, which I fought for a year and now I go back to the trusty RAMPS. If it indeed does not work with the RAMPS, I put the smart controller back on. But my smart controller has so much backlight I cannot see the wording on accept for at an angle. I don't really care which one is on there, as long as I can print from SD or USB stick. The printer is stand alone in the shed.

The TFT does light up now and funcion, I didn't get it to communicate with the RAMPS yet. The 7805 got a little hot but has no cooling body on it yet, nor a fan. I wonder whether the TFT3 is really that different, or whether the power source issue is the reason it cannot work on the standard RAMPS set-up. I haven't given it up, yet, but I just want my printer back to working order ASAP, and I don't like both my screen / SD option seem to fail...

Hugo
November 18, 2018 06:44AM
the concern I have is the ramps is a 5v processor, ie all IO lines including the serial ports are 5v

the mks sbase is a 3.3v processor and the IO lines including serial are 3.3v...

so if its not protected sending a 5v signal into a 3,3v line = dead IO line.
November 18, 2018 07:00AM
Ah, OK. Thanks. I'll start another topic on my LCD smart controller, then.

Cheers,

Hugo
November 24, 2018 03:23PM
Well, after the above input I just had yo give it a shot...

[www.youtube.com]

So I certainly have signals coming from the RAMPS being processed by the MKS TFT32, I don't know how I can test if it also works the other way around, without having the RAMPS connected to a printer. I hope the stepper drivers and other bits and bobs will arive soon.

Hugo
November 24, 2018 09:24PM
well done

re testing. you could just "print" a gcode file that has one line, turn on the fan, so you can see the mosfet led turn on
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login