Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can anyone add MMU 2.0 to his printer ? confused smiley

Posted by xdarko 
Can anyone add MMU 2.0 to his printer ? confused smiley
January 07, 2019 10:09AM
Hi guys,

Am very interested in the MMU 2.0 and willing to buy the kit soon. Only that I heard Josef Prusa saying that the kit is only compatible with Einsy board and Prusa i3 MK versions.
Honestly I don't think that is impossible to connect the MMU board to another one like in my case a Makerbase board (MKS Gen 1.4) . Can you discuss the proper approach to connect any different board and printer to the MMU board and how to modify the firmware to do so? Thanks .
Re: Can anyone add MMU 2.0 to his printer ? confused smiley
January 07, 2019 10:55AM
Its compatible with prusa mk2.5 and mk3

the mk2.5 uses Mini Rambo [reprap.org]

There are several issues
1) hotend, Prusa had to get the hot end redesigned to be nice and smooth inside, so that filament change didn't suffer from jams. A clone hotend most likely will jam
2) Filament sensor, you need a filament sensor on your extruder, its parts of the operation of the MMU (yes there is a second one on the MMU)
3) firmware, Prusa firmware has custom code to operate the MMU, at this time it is only in Prusa firmware

electrically it is connected to rx2/tx2 and reset , so you need to be able to access a unused serial port on your controller and the reset line.

Atmel 2560 chips have 4 serial ports 0-3, 0 is connected to a usb/serial converter (ie the usb cable) on reprap controlers
1,2 and 3 are generally taken up as normal IO pins used in some other function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 10:59AM by Dust.
January 07, 2019 01:05PM
For the moment my primary concern is with firmware. Let's say that I have the necessary communication pins do you think that I can modify the Prusa Firmware in order to adapt it to my machine?
January 07, 2019 06:40PM
Anything is possible, given enough time.

Issue with prusa firmware is he has deliberately removed all code relating to different controllers.
The current firmware is very much hardcoded for the prusa hardware.
For eg, It is designed so that you must calibrate it with a heated bed that has special marks at well defined locations before it will let you do normal gcode.

Its is do able, but is going to take some work...

It would probably be easier to study the code and extract the MMU parts and implement them in marlin
January 08, 2019 02:57AM
Deleted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 02:59AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login