Z motors malfunction
January 11, 2019 05:00PM
Hi,

So I just installed a new RAMBo board on my Mendelmax 3 and flashed it with Marlin firmware. The first thing i attempted when connecting it to the software was testing all the motors. The X and Y worked fine but the Z axis steppers are malfunctioning. They sound like theyre struggling to move a heavy load. The gantry obviously isnt too heavy and doesnt seem to be stuck for any reason. When i try and help it it will go while making a screeching sound. I dont think it can be the drivers because its a new rambo, the steppers worked great before I blew the mother board(reason i got a new one) so they should be fine right? Im not sure if I didnt edit the Configuration.h properly before flashing the board? Ive never flashed firmware onto a board before. Can someone please help diagnose??

[drive.google.com]

Thank you,
Josh
Re: Z motors malfunction
January 11, 2019 06:58PM
your Z max feed rate in firmware is to high.
January 14, 2019 10:45AM
I set the feed rate to 5 mm/s and it still happens! I'm thinking its my steps per unit, somethings wrong in the configuration.h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2019 10:51AM by Jgang.
January 14, 2019 01:15PM
Jgang
I set the feed rate to 5 mm/s and it still happens! I'm thinking its my steps per unit, somethings wrong in the configuration.h

Next Step
Upload configuration.h and configuration_adv.h to Google Drive or other similar online file sharing..
Then Post a link to your file will have a look see what could be causing Z-Axis not moving correctly.

In my case the problem was the Z-Axis trapezoidal nuts were miss aligned causing undue tension between the lead-screws and the nuts.
Fix by removing the screws that were causing the nut lead-screw binding.

Note that Y was binding on one lead-screw and X was binding on the other lead-screw

These were the Factory 3D Printed Lead-screw mounts. Ended up purchasing Molded Lead screw mounts.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2019 01:26PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login