Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOLVED: Homing fails, I have no Z to home, seems like its waiting for Z

Posted by Mixer9 
March 17, 2019 02:46PM
I only have X and Y for my laser engraver, everything works great with Marlin 1.1.9 except the homing, when I home I get "homing failed", it takes a fair amount of time to give this error after X and Y home successfully, I believe it is waiting on Z to home, but I have no Z. How can I disable the "check" for Z during auto home? How can I disable Z?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 10:08AM by Mixer9.
March 18, 2019 10:07AM
In my case I have a laser engraver from makeblock, I wanted to update it to Arduino + Ramps 1.4, so I did. I put Marlin 1.1.9 on configured it and for the most part it worked beautifully , however when using the "home" function from lightburn or the "auto home" from the Marlin menu, I would always get "homing failed printer killed" and would have to reset in order to use the engraver. I determined the cause of this was because I am NOT using a 3d printer like most to make a laser engraver, and thus I do NOT have a Z axis, the software is waiting for a Z axis to be triggered that will never come and then some preset timeout happens and the printer is killed. In my case I simply put a jumper on the ZMIN endstop pins (S and GND) and the system is happy.

I would like to suggest here and I will put in an actual feature request, that if you are enabling the laser function of the Marlin firmware that you can also set Z_MIN_PLUG to "triggered" if you do not have a Z axis.
Re: SOLVED: Homing fails, I have no Z to home, seems like its waiting for Z
March 18, 2019 10:38AM
most laser systems need a z to set the focus of the laser.

you could have just inverted the z endstop in firmware.

eg find and change "#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop." to true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 10:41AM by Dust.
Re: SOLVED: Homing fails, I have no Z to home, seems like its waiting for Z
March 18, 2019 10:48AM
I too was looking at creating a laser engraver have not exactly decided on what to do, i have decided on using marlin to do so.

Would appreciate any information you have acquired in the development of your Marlin driven laser engraver.

would also like to know what software you are using for the G-Code models.

Thank you

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login