Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Status of TMC5160 support

Posted by agehall 
Status of TMC5160 support
April 02, 2019 04:34PM
Reading [github.com] it seems like most of the support for the newer drivers are in the 2.0.x branch already. But from what I can tell, sensorless homing is still not in there.

Is there any work being done on this? I would personally really like to see this in the firmware and normally I wouldn't mind contributing some code to make it happen but unfortunately C++ isn't my cup of tea so I don't think that will happen. (At least not with the code quality that good enough for the general public)

Are there any other major parts missing in the TMC5160 support or should I consider these fine for use with the 2.0.x firmware?
Re: Status of TMC5160 support
April 02, 2019 08:30PM
After Downloading Marlin 2.0.x extract to a Marlin folder.

Under Marlin\src\config\examples will be every tested 3D Printer for this version including Configuration.h and configuration_adv.h example setups...

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 03, 2019 05:19AM
Thank you for the answer, but I'm afraid it isn't that simple. They are pretty confusing as config/examples/config_adv.h states:

/**
   * TMC2130, TMC2160, TMC2660, TMC5130, and TMC5160 only
   * Use StallGuard2 to sense an obstacle and trigger an endstop.
   * Connect the stepper driver's DIAG1 pin to the X/Y endstop pin.
   * X, Y, and Z homing will always be done in spreadCycle mode.
   * X/Y/Z_STALL_SENSITIVITY is used for tuning the trigger sensitivity.
   * Higher values make the system LESS sensitive.
   * Lower value make the system MORE sensitive.
   * Too low values can lead to false positives, while too high values will collide the axis without triggering.
   * It is advised to set X/Y/Z_HOME_BUMP_MM to 0.
   * M914 X/Y/Z to live tune the setting
   */
  //#define SENSORLESS_HOMING // TMC2130 only
(bolding mine)

And when I looked at the code, it seemed to indicate that only TMC2130 supported sensorless homing. But since my C++ skills are fairly bad (to say the least) I might have missed something. Therefore I'm looking for clarification.
April 03, 2019 01:34PM
So far only the TMC2130 and TMC2660 source code in the TMCStepper library supports sensorless homing (stallguard).

I guess in time (hopefully very soon) it will be added to the TMC5160 source code driver too, especially as the TMC5160 is very nice indeed with the external mosfets (loads more current and easy to repair the output stage if need be).

If I had a TMC5160 module I'd work on it straight away myself, but it'll be a few weeks till I get some driver boards.

But I'm sure it won't be too long before it's added, as I highly suspect the TMC5160 driver boards are going to become very popular.
April 03, 2019 01:45PM
Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I'll have to order up a few TMC2130's for now then as I really want sensorless homing right now. I'll The TMC5160s will have to wait on the shelf a bit until there is proper support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login