Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

marlin 1.1.9 bug - Home X Axis

Posted by n9jcv 
marlin 1.1.9 bug - Home X Axis
April 08, 2019 09:26AM
I have a MKS Gen L board, 1 stepper motor and 1 endstop switch. I am making some changes to Marlin and testing with the board, stepper and endstop only. No Printer. When I issue a G28 X, I tries to home and then after about 5 seconds, gives the message Homing failed PRINTER HALTED Please reset. This appears to be a know bug, there are threads over at Github, like this;
[github.com]

This thread seems to have a consensus that the issue is noise on the endstop line, and adding 100nf cap across the endstop will resolve, or possibly enabling endstop noise filter in Marlin.

I have put a 100nf cap across the endstop switch and enabled the endstop noise filter. I still have the issue.

I then tried to manually press the endstop switch at about 2 seconds, and hold it, doing this causes the homing to work, it does not time out. But in real life, homing could take 30 seconds or more depending on where the axis is. Also if I just click the endstop switch and release immediately, I get the printer halted error immediately and not at 5 seconds.

So since I have the capacitor, I do not believe the root cause is noise any longer. And I think there is a timing issue or something else causing it, homing should be allowed to run as long as necessary and not just 5 seconds. At first I thought it was changes I made to 1.1.9, but then I pulled a new copy of 1.1.9 and just made a few changes to config, like board, and tested and still had the issue.

I am currently working on changing 1.1.9 to use with a robot I am making and I need the home to work. Now I am considering going back to 1.1.8 as others state this does not happen there. I think going to 2.0 would be a bit premature at this point.

So would you agree going back to 1.1.8 would be the best choice for the most stable and easiest way to get my robot to production?

Thanks
Re: marlin 1.1.9 bug - Home X Axis
April 08, 2019 09:36AM
I was told to Update to Marlin 1.1.9BF

Though I was only on Marlin 1.1.9BF a few months then upgraded to Marlin 2.0.x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 09:39AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 08, 2019 11:26AM
Did you have the halting issue and did the BF fix that for you?

If so I may give that a try tonight.

Thanks for your input
April 08, 2019 01:09PM
I was told not to even install Marlin 1.1.9 to Install Marlin 1.1.9BF so that is what I did.
They told me that Marlin 1.1.9 had so many problems not to waste my time.

Updated to Marlin 2.0.x and have no reason to return to any previous versions.
My Hictop Prusa i3 Reprap clone has not had any problems with any versions of Marlin except the original from flash from the factory.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
April 16, 2019 05:02AM
Try to put the 3 endstops , it did work for me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login