Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help to clone/fork Marlin 1.1.8

Posted by n9jcv 
Help to clone/fork Marlin 1.1.8
April 08, 2019 11:24PM
I for the life of me can not figure out how to make a fork of Marlin 1.1.8. I am new to Github. When I go there it appears only to let you select 1.0x, 1.1.x, Marlin-RTOS, bugfix-1.0x and bugfix-2.0x. Those are the only branches listed. If I use google to find release 1.1.8 there is a download zip, but if I click fork from the release, it gives me 1.1.9

UGGGG

So is it possible to make a fork of 1.1.8, if so please help me.

Another related issue, if I download 1.1.8, as a zip, then unzip local, then add to Github desktop, then open in Atom, it will not build and gives me the error;
Error: Please install Git client from [git-scm.com]

I am just trying to get 1.1.8 and make changes for myself for a robot - any ideas or assistance would be great.
Thanks
Re: Help to clone/fork Marlin 1.1.8
April 08, 2019 11:47PM
[stackoverflow.com]

you fork 1.1.9 then roll that back to 1.1.8
Re: Help to clone/fork Marlin 1.1.8
April 10, 2019 12:16AM
Dust, thanks for the suggestion. I read that and it was a bit more involved than I expected. I am new to github and marlin work. I thought they would let you fork any release, but appears you can only fork branches. And each release does not have a branch. But Github supports the repository that holds the code for all the releases. Does not make sense to me. Why they just don't support forking any release.

So for my purposes, I just want to get 1.1.8 in development and make changes. No one else will be contributing. When I am done I will then post my 1.1.8 for anyone to use as they wish, with all credit to previous Marlin team. So I opted for something easier. Just documenting in case others need something similar.

I downloaded the zip of 1.1.8 from Github. Then I unzipped, and opened the project folder from Atom. I kept getting an error;
Error: Please install Git client from [git-scm.com]

I already had the Git Desktop client installed. The Git Client is not the same as the Git Desktop however, even though they do the same similar things. So I donwloaded Git Client, and then I was able to build and upload to my board.

So now I will develop. Then when done, I will create a new repository on GitHub, under my account and make it public.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login