Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BLTouch and heater failure

Posted by nichlock 
BLTouch and heater failure
May 05, 2019 02:41PM
I am having an issue related to a newly purchased (genuine) BLTouch v3.0 and my i3 based printer running Marlin-1.1.9 on a RAMPS1.4 board. Around 15-20 seconds after the z-axis is homed using the BLTouch sensor, a ‘heating failed’ error is thrown, even without any heaters active. The BLTouch itself works as expected when homing and when using M280 commands.
Error always occurs 15-20 seconds after z-homing is completed. WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD is set to 20 seconds for extruders, and WATCH_BED_TEMP_PERIOD is 60 seconds. Both are set to 2 degrees temperature change.
The error thrown is “Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: X - Printer halted. kill() called!”. The Heater ID X changes based on connector T0. If there is a thermocouple in T0, heater 1 will fail, but if T0 is not connected to anything, heater 0 fails.’

Printer was functional and while using a capacitive sensor. The homing is fine and works as expected, but then a few seconds after this error occurs.
This will happen at any time, including directly after a power cycle when running G28. No temperature change is notable in any sensors and OctoPrint does not indicate any heaters activating.

Though I believe this is a software issue, I have shielded the power and PWM signal wires for the BLTouch.
I haven’t been able to find any info online on this issue, and from what I understand on the manual, the LED indicators on the BLTouch are acting normal.
Re: BLTouch and heater failure
May 11, 2019 11:17AM
FIXED: I couldn't find a fix for this on Marlin 1.x, but updating to to Marlin 2.0 got rid of the issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login