Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CURA 3.6 and Marlin 1.1.9 starts print 5mm above the bed

Posted by dlc60 
CURA 3.6 and Marlin 1.1.9 starts print 5mm above the bed
May 15, 2019 11:22AM
First off, I do not know if this is a Marlin issue or a CURA issue. It may be some interaction.

I just updated my delta printer from a VERY old version of Marlin to 1.1.9. I am using CURA 3.6 with both the older version of Marlin and the newer one.
After updating to Marlin 1.1.9 I used Pronterface to level the bed and check Z height (I manually level and have EEPROM disabled).
Everything looked fine.
I then used CURA 3.6 to fire off a print through Octoprint. My CURA settings have the first layer set to 0.18mm.
I have changed nothing in CURA nor Octoprint between the time when I used CURA to do this print with both the older firmware and the newer firmware.
The hot end dropped to about 5mm off of the bed and started printing. Not optimal.
I have checked my CURA settings, the Z offset is 0.0.
I modified no Marlin configuration.h calibration options for bed leveling or calibrations - and note that Pronterface correctly followed G0 commands to go to 0.2mm.

I have attached my gcode file as well as my configuration.h file. Any insight that anyone has is appreciated. This is a puzzler. I have installed Marlin 1.1.8 in several other printers, both delta and bed slingers without this happening before.

Thanks,

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Attachments:
open | download - CFFFP_Small_FlexiStego_Supports.zip (521.4 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (78.3 KB)
Re: CURA 3.6 and Marlin 1.1.9 starts print 5mm above the bed
May 15, 2019 06:11PM
After Upgrading firmware the old values remain in memory unless you send a M502 : restore Factory Defaults and Send a M500 Store Settings.

Another point of interests Marlin 1.1.9 has a problems you should actually be using Marlin 1.1.9 BF.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 15, 2019 06:14PM
I found the problem. I left USE_ZMIN_PLUG defined. For some reason that added an offset to the first layer.

Hmm. I'll look into the 1.1.9BF. I have not used 1.1.9 enough to see the bugs.
What does the BF release fix? I didn't see any release notes in github.

thanks,
DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 06:17PM by dlc60.

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
May 16, 2019 12:09PM
dlc60
I found the problem. I left USE_ZMIN_PLUG defined. For some reason that added an offset to the first layer.

Hmm. I'll look into the 1.1.9BF. I have not used 1.1.9 enough to see the bugs.
What does the BF release fix? I didn't see any release notes in github.

thanks,
DLC
I had my first unexplained 1.1.9 failure (after correcting the configuration.h setting), a thermal runaway shutdown.
So since what I really wanted was a version that supported "baby stepping"...
I have had great luck with 1.1.8 on one other delta and 3 other Cartesian printers, I think that I'll move to that version, see how it goes and look forward to the 2.0 stuff to firm up.

DLC

May 16, 2019 07:56PM
I had used Marlin 1.1.9BF for quite a long time an never had any problems.
I upgraded to Marlin 2.0.0 several months ago, have never had any problems with this firmware on my Prusa i3 compatible 3D Printer.
This is an ABS print and assembly I just finished for the MPCNC.

XY_C_Burly20
[drive.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:59PM by Roberts_Clif.

May 17, 2019 01:24PM
Roberts_Clif
I upgraded to Marlin 2.0.0 several months ago, have never had any problems with this firmware on my Prusa i3 compatible 3D Printer.

XY_C_Burly20
[drive.google.com]

[attachment 111371 MiddleAssembly.jpg]

That's encouraging!

Thanks,
DLC

May 18, 2019 02:56AM
Roberts_Clif

XY_C_Burly20
[drive.google.com]

[attachment 111371 MiddleAssembly.jpg]

Interesting piece, is there a place with more info about that part and the mpcnc in general?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
May 18, 2019 09:35AM
Posted Here

[reprap.org]

I was merely showing how well a 3D Printer can Print if placed in an enclosure, and well maintained.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 09:44AM by Roberts_Clif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login