Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor

Posted by delfindelfin 
Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor
June 19, 2019 10:30AM
This is my first time on this forums and this might be a dumb question, but does Marlin Firmware supports Closed Loop Stepper Motor control?
VDX
Re: Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor
June 19, 2019 11:26AM
... if your CL-driver is controlled by STEP+DIR, then it's no difference to normal steppers -- have a CNC-mill with CL-servos, controlled by a "normal" stepper-controller without any further modifications ... the controller are UHU-drivers, reads the encoders from the brushed DC motors, and control them corresponding to the received "step-pulses".

Got recently some mechaduinos, what's too a CL-driver fors steppers, with a magnet on the axis ... and can be controlled either by software, or by "STEP+DIR" ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 19, 2019 02:34PM
Well, I don't have closed loop driver .. I was thinking in using an optical encoder .. And then make some modifications in the firmware if it is not supported

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 03:12PM by delfindelfin.
VDX
June 19, 2019 04:17PM
... look a bit closer into "closed-loop drivers" - it's mostly a microcontroller, reading the optical encoder and moving/holding the motor (stepper by stepping or DC-motor by voltage controlling) to or at a defined position.

The "STEP+DIR"-types of CL-drivers (as the Mechaduino) behaves identically to a common stepper-driver (as Pololu) -- you only have to wire the optical encoder to the CL-board ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 19, 2019 04:43PM
So, do I need both? The closed loop driver and the optical encoder? I have just bought one optical encoder like this:

I don't know anything about closed-loop drivers, tough .. But I have heard about mechaduino

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 04:46PM by delfindelfin.
VDX
June 19, 2019 06:05PM
... an optical encoder generates pulses when rotating - in my CNC-mill with STEP+DIR-servocontrollers are optical encoders with 500 lines/rev, so 2000 pulses per full turn on 5mm-spindles, what's enough for a "step-resolution" of 0.0025mm and speeds of up to 150mm/s.

The mechaduinos have a "magnetic sensor" and a magnet fixed to the motor shaft to get the angular position ...

Viktor
--------

September 07, 2019 01:13PM
Can I use mechaduinos with any stepper motor? I am using Nema 17
April 20, 2020 01:50PM
hello !, this is my first post in this forum, I wanted to ask about if you managed to implement the encoders and if marlin allowed you to modify the firmware easily, my final project will deal with this, thank you very much for your answers.
kr_
May 18, 2020 06:07PM
marcos.santiago.de
hello !, this is my first post in this forum, I wanted to ask about if you managed to implement the encoders and if marlin allowed you to modify the firmware easily, my final project will deal with this, thank you very much for your answers.

I've been using the closed loop steppers from Misfittech for a few years already, with Marlin on a Mega2560 with RAMPS1.4. They don't require to modify the firmware. They work with any board having STEP and DIR pins. It's a great way to get rid of layer shifting problems !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 06:08PM by kr_.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login