Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstops working while printing?

Posted by Inq 
Inq
Endstops working while printing?
June 28, 2019 03:09PM
I am in the process of learning, designing and building my own 3D printer. I have a single axis test-bed with one stepper motor, and optical endstop. I have the Marlin code setup to ignore the rest. I can successfully "print" from the SD card (even though its like clapping with one hand). As with my purchased printer, the gcode does the Home command and the head successfully goes to the endstop and sets the X = 0. It will then happily "print" the file as expected.

I expected that during the printing phase, if the head hit the end-stop, that the print would abort. That does not seem to happen.

I am just assuming that if a printer has skipped enough steps to hit an endstop, that it would be a wise choice not to continue... (1) Waste more plastic on a failed print and (2) to not tear up the printer.

Does aborting print on endstop strike exist? I don't see anything in the Configuration.h.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 03:10PM by Inq.
Re: Endstops working while printing?
June 28, 2019 09:29PM
That is not a standard configuration option and should not be.

A endsop on 0 (very common) would trigger every time you print to max volume... you dont want the machine to stop due to that.
June 29, 2019 05:42AM
The option is in Configuration_adv.h ..

#define ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT

It's fine to enable if you never intend too print at the edges where your end stops might be triggered.
June 29, 2019 06:00AM
That will stop movement on the axis, but not halt the print.
June 29, 2019 06:08AM
Dust
That will stop movement on the axis, but not halt the print.

Yes you're right of cause. My bad.

Their is also this option in Configuration_adv.h (only applies to a print being done from the SD card and not a PC) ..

#define SD_ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT

That requires the SD card to also be enabled though, and probably (but not sure) to have also have the other option enabled ..

#define ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 06:09AM by Pippy.
Inq
June 29, 2019 11:09AM
Thank you for your help.

I'm not too concerned about losing a 1/10 mm or so to my build size... at least during this learning/building phase. Also, my prototype X-axis is 8 feet long. My eventual printer will be on the order of 4 to 5 feet. I am more concerned about stripping gears and bending frames.

In case anyone else is looking for this feature during their prototyping... This is what I found...

1) Un-commenting ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT in Configuration.adv.h keeps the end-stops active, but when hit, they just reset a new zero and the print continues. This is actually good enough for me (for now) so that I don't bend something and I'm not actually printing yet. Just moving the X-axis.

2) Un-commenting ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT_FEATURE_ENABLED in Configuration.adv.h does stop the when the endstop is triggered during printing. However, I had to enable the feature in the printer menu... Control / Motion / Endstop abort: On

3) Also... in my case, because I only have the X-axis so far, the print was immediately being stopped because the Y and Z minimum stops were "always triggered" since they weren't connected. I had to connect real endstops and "block" them during the homing process and then unblock them once the zero's were set.

This solved my issue, but maybe someone can point me into a better way of coding my configuration files. I tried commenting out...
#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS
#if ENABLED(MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS)
  #define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_X
  // #define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Y
  // #define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
#endif

... expecting that it would not check the Y and Z minimum end-stop during the Homing and Printing phases, but that didn't work.

Again, thank you for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 11:11AM by Inq.
June 30, 2019 02:39AM
edited

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 03:43AM by Pippy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login