Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

G28 when using a BLTouch issues.

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
G28 when using a BLTouch issues.
August 16, 2019 10:02PM
When I do a Z G28 normally it is instantaneous but in Marlin 2.0 with a BLTouch (both on examples on a SKR V1.3) the pause before anything happens is really long (5-10s) and I wonder why this is? Also when it finally moves Z it is not nearly as smooth as it was before I told it I had a BLTouch. I am not sure why but if I remember back long ago when I had a servo arm probe Z moved at half speed from what the default was set at and I wonder if this would be why it is so grindy sounding? Default for homing Z is set to 4mm/s.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: G28 when using a BLTouch issues.
August 17, 2019 03:31PM
It would appear this sub is dead so where does one go to ask questions about this and get some answers? Github is not the place for questions.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
August 17, 2019 04:32PM
This thread is being read, I have never used a BLTouch.

I have used a low profile proximity sensor TL-W3MC2 with Marlin 2.0 that works.

I have setup a Marlin 2.0 for BLTouch though it has never been tested. Was going to test on my MPCNC after ordering a BLTouch.
An did not respond because of such, did not think you would want untested BLTouch Marlin 2.0 routine settings from a MPCNC Marlin 2.0 configuration...

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
August 17, 2019 07:30PM
Roberts_Clif
This thread is being read, I have never used a BLTouch.

I have used a low profile proximity sensor TL-W3MC2 with Marlin 2.0 that works.

I have setup a Marlin 2.0 for BLTouch though it has never been tested. Was going to test on my MPCNC after ordering a BLTouch.
An did not respond because of such, did not think you would want untested BLTouch Marlin 2.0 routine settings from a MPCNC Marlin 2.0 configuration...
People are strange (human nature) that no one wants to be the first to respond. When you get it hooked up I would love to know because of the two issues I mentioned I can't figure out what it could be or how to fix them (Atom is a pita in this department as it lacks a search through all files feature and if it has it it is buried somewhere). Marlin 2.0, as you know, has so many files now it is hard to go through each one trying to find something. I did head to G28 but I got lost but in Marlin 1.0, and before, it was easy to find and modify.

_______
August 18, 2019 09:46AM
Well if you want to look at what I have before testing here
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
//#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE

#define BLTOUCH
#if ENABLED(BLTOUCH)
  #define BLTOUCH_DELAY 375   // (ms) Enable and increase if needed
#endif

#define PROBING_HEATERS_OFF       // Turn heaters off when probing
#if ENABLED(PROBING_HEATERS_OFF)
  //#define WAIT_FOR_BED_HEATER   // Wait for bed to heat back up between probes (to improve accuracy)
#endif
#define PROBING_FANS_OFF          // Turn fans off when probing
#define PROBING_STEPPERS_OFF      // Turn steppers off (unless needed to hold position) when probing
//#define DELAY_BEFORE_PROBING 200  // (ms) To prevent vibrations from triggering piezo sensors

If I remember after test I will Post what my conclusions are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 09:48AM by Roberts_Clif.

August 18, 2019 08:15PM
Roberts_Clif
Well if you want to look at what I have before testing here
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
//#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE

#define BLTOUCH
#if ENABLED(BLTOUCH)
  #define BLTOUCH_DELAY 375   // (ms) Enable and increase if needed
#endif

#define PROBING_HEATERS_OFF       // Turn heaters off when probing
#if ENABLED(PROBING_HEATERS_OFF)
  //#define WAIT_FOR_BED_HEATER   // Wait for bed to heat back up between probes (to improve accuracy)
#endif
#define PROBING_FANS_OFF          // Turn fans off when probing
#define PROBING_STEPPERS_OFF      // Turn steppers off (unless needed to hold position) when probing
//#define DELAY_BEFORE_PROBING 200  // (ms) To prevent vibrations from triggering piezo sensors

If I remember after test I will Post what my conclusions are.
I haven't even gotten to the point of probing yet as I got sick and it is over 85f in that room.

You know I just downloaded Marlin 2.0 again (trying to keep up to date) and it is now 20k larger when compiled so something changed and when I do a M119 it pauses for a second or two and comes back with my endstop states. I am unsure why this Marlin is pausing so much.

_______
August 19, 2019 07:25AM
The temperature here is really hot also, living in the Channeled Scablands of Washington State.

20k larger seem a bit too much, my compiled configuration is only 1,748 larger and I have added S_CURVE_ACCELERATION and PARK_HEAD_ON_PAUSE
I like the s curves allows me to print faster with less vibration, and the park head on pause will not melt holes into models when a pause is issued.

August 19, 2019 07:36AM
I don't use those features but using the same configuration settings I just wonder why the 20k more?

_______
August 22, 2019 09:13AM
Do you happen to know where in Marlin (I vaguely remember this from the 1.0 days) I can remove the lift Z by 10mm after a G28 Z has finished? It is in here somewhere and it has to go.

_______
August 23, 2019 10:19AM
Are you referring to one these

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
#define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points
#define Z_CLEARANCE_MULTI_PROBE 5 // Z Clearance between multiple probes
#define Z_AFTER_PROBING 10 // Z position after probing is done

August 23, 2019 12:23PM
Roberts_Clif
Are you referring to one these

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
#define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points
#define Z_CLEARANCE_MULTI_PROBE 5 // Z Clearance between multiple probes
#define Z_AFTER_PROBING 10 // Z position after probing is done

I think so but the problem is that should have nothing to do with G28 but instead G29. If I have ABL off (so not probe point) it should just use the BLTOUCH as a standard endstop and never move the nozzle post G28. For instance: Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES If you don't have ABL turned on then there will never be more than the one probe and the same goes for define Z_CLEARANCE_MULTI_PROBE. The Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE makes sense as my original probe from eons ago was a servo and a arm it had to flip out. That last one I am unsure why it is there. Is that last one required for something? As in if G29 follows will it not move the nozzle before it begins to probe?

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login