Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing from Repetier to Marlin

Posted by leadinglights 
Changing from Repetier to Marlin
October 19, 2019 05:31AM
Circumstances are forcing me to change from Repetier firmware to Marlin so I have been looking through the Configuration and various other files to get my system working. While I am very familiar with Repetier configuration I am finding a little difficult to find several things in Marlin.

The display is 20 character by 4 lines (HD44780 type) with encoder using 4 data lines, 'O.K.' button (push encoder) and back button
My pins are

LCD Display
RS Pin 16
RW Pin - (connected to GND)
Enable pin 17
Data D4 pin 23
Data D5 pin 25
Data D6 pin 27
Data D7 pin 29

Sounder pin 45

Encoder pins 37 & 35
O.K. button pin 33
Back button pin 31

SD card MISO pin 50
SD card MOSI pin 51
SD card SCK pin 52

Specific questions are:-

Q1) My LCD pins are the same as those in Marlins pins.h under ULTRA_LCD NEWPANEL. Are these what will be used if ULTRA_LCD is uncommented in Configuration.H and all others left commented out?

Q2) Where can I find the sounder (beeper, speaker) pin defined? In which file?

Q3) Where can I find the pins for the encoder, O.K. button and Back button? In which file?

Q3a) Is there a 'Back' button defined in Marlin firmware? Back here meaning back to the previous menu.

Q4 are those the correct pins for the SD card above?

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Mike
Re: Changing from Repetier to Marlin
October 19, 2019 06:34AM
pins are in the file for your motherboard

eg pins_RAMPS.h if you have a ramps....
October 19, 2019 08:04AM
Thanks Dust, but that has answered few if any of my questions. The pins_RAMPS.h does not appear to have any default cases, only specific controllers such as REPRAPWORLD_GRAPHICAL_LCD or CR10_STOCKDISPLAY. The closest I can find to buttons or an encoder is under REPRAPWORLD_KEYPADS.

At the beginning of pins_RAMPS there is the following line:
* Other pins_MYBOARD.h files may override these defaults

Sadly, no such file exists and writing one is beyond my capabilities. I won't start changing things without at least a minimal chance of it working.

Mike
October 19, 2019 08:40AM
You set the features you want in the Configuration.h

you set the pin for the features in the pins file...

How about enlightening us as to what controller you have?

REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER is probably the closest to what you want
It has a 20x4 lcd and a clickable encoder. There is no back button on this display, but, I see code for a back button,,,
Also enable #define SDSUPPORT to use the sdcard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 08:43AM by Dust.
October 19, 2019 08:51AM
for a back button it looks like you just need to add in

#define BTN_BACK 31 into the pins_RAMPS.h (presuming your using a ramps)
after the line
#if ENABLED(REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 08:54AM by Dust.
October 19, 2019 08:59AM
Thanks again. I will try those later this afternoon

Controller is my own design from back when all controllers were own design. The latest iteration from 2014 is on [www.thingiverse.com]

So you would recommend setting controller to REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER and modifying it to suit?

I guess that there being no default case is why there are so many pins_*******.H files then

Mike
October 19, 2019 09:18AM
the #define MOTHERBOARD you set in Configuration.h selects the pins file it uses.
for a RAMPS #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB

RAMPS sort of is the default for most 8bit mega2560 based controllers and many other board definitions just make a few changes then include pins_RAMPS.h

SANGUINOLOLU_12.h is the default for boards based on 644p or 1284p

and these days there are a bunch for different families of 32 bit processors.

Own design.. you must be even older in reprap than I... I started with a gen 3, with a dc motor based extruder... [reprap.org] Those where the days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 09:22AM by Dust.
October 19, 2019 09:54AM
I have begun to understand now that I have stopped looking for files that don't exist

My first printer was possibly one of the first Mendel Prusa printers. Generation 6 controller hand-etched surface mount PCB. Heated beds were not part of that PCB design or maybe not yet thought of.

Mike

p.s. I still miss hand knapping of flint axes and mammoth hunting. eye rolling smiley
October 19, 2019 12:09PM
Whoops, I just re-read the thread and realised that I am perpetuating or perpetrating a terminological collision.
To put the record straight; Printer controller is a RAMPS 1.4. The Display/SD/Control panel is my own design but with pinning to the PCB that I would rather not change - if the change to Marlin does not solve my problem then I will fall back to using Repetier firmware or bite the bullet and get a Duet - or buy a commercial printer (shudder) or drown my sorrows in whisky drinking smiley or something similar.

Edit: Compile went to completion after finding one error - I had not defined USE_ZMAX_PLUG although I am homing Z to max. That bodes well for trials tomorrow.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 01:41PM by leadinglights.
October 20, 2019 03:09PM
Most everything is working well now although I had the normal cluster of mistypes, misthinks and other mistakes. In particular, the bilinear Z probing is very good with Marlins ability to set the height between multiprobes and travel probes correctly. The abilithy to have a mesh with different divisions in X and Y (6 in X and 5 in Y) is particularly valuable.

The only problem at the moment is that the 'O.K.' button (push the encoder button) is very intermittent and just plain flakey while the 'Back' button is unresponsive. Do you have any thoughts as to where to look - debounce possibly??

Thanks,

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login