Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

moved from ancient Marlin to Marlin 1.1.8, now hotend does not heat up

Posted by dlc60 
moved from ancient Marlin to Marlin 1.1.8, now hotend does not heat up
November 22, 2019 12:57AM
I have made this switch from ancient Marlin versions to 1.1.8 on several printers with no problems, but this one isn't working.
I have a custom Kossel that uses the RAMPS 1.4 board. It is a hot end and fan only, bed. I used a RAMPS EFF (extruder, fan, fan) setting from the boards.h, there isn't a EF only option for RAMP 1.4 or 1.3.
I used the RAMPS 1.3 board def '35' in both the old Marlin and new Marlin. I also tried the '45' board for the RAMPS 1.4, same thing happens.

Everything works but the hot end. I am scratching my head.
I set the extruder count to 1
I set the correct thermistor (that is working fine)
The display says it is trying to do the hot end, but, nada.

When I turn on the hot end from Pronterface, no heat.

The hardware is fine. If I revert to the old code, all works as usual.

Is there some nuance that I am missing? This is the first time that I have attempted this move to a system that does not have a heated bed. Is the "EFF" choice bunging up the system?

Thanks,
DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 01:02AM by dlc60.

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Re: moved from ancient Marlin to Marlin 1.1.8, now hotend does not heat up
November 24, 2019 04:49PM
More information.
I have now tried to create a Marlin 1.1.8 Delta on two different delta printers that do not have heated beds,
one is a RAMPS 1.4 and the other is a MKS Gen 1.4 controller.
In each case, the hot end does not even try to heat.
In both cases, I have a super old marlin base that works just fine.
I have successfully upgraded an Anet A8, HE3D K200 delta, FLSUN delta (using the Marlin config files given), a custom Tevo Tarantula that I made a dual extruder, and a custom Cartesean printer with no problems. 1.1.8 worked first time on these other five printers.

Pronterface commands cause the display to say it is intending to heat, but no thermistor movement, eventual temp failure. Same for display controller setting to preheat to a temperature.
(Remember, this all works fine with an old version of Marlin, unknown vintage, just not with 1.1.8.

I am missing something and I do not understand what it is!
Any hints appreciated,
Thanks,
DLC

I have attached the configuration.h file, ifdef'd for each of the printers I am trying to get going. I am really hoping for a 'forehead slap" moment...
Configuration.h

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
November 28, 2019 03:26AM
While I am guessing this is not the cause, I thought I would offer the following as I had something similar happen to me (printer worked and then after some work on the board and flashing, the end would not heat up). Drove me nuts and took me way longer than I would like to admit to figure out. Turns out my thermostat was broken, so it simply read 0 degrees (not even room temp). This caused my printer to act exactly as yours when I tried to pre-heat.

Just throwing it out there as if it is that, it is a simple fix of swapping in new thermostat.

Good-luck.
November 29, 2019 04:41PM
mgudor
While I am guessing this is not the cause, I thought I would offer the following as I had something similar happen to me (printer worked and then after some work on the board and flashing, the end would not heat up). Drove me nuts and took me way longer than I would like to admit to figure out. Turns out my thermostat was broken, so it simply read 0 degrees (not even room temp). This caused my printer to act exactly as yours when I tried to pre-heat.

Just throwing it out there as if it is that, it is a simple fix of swapping in new thermostat.

Good-luck.

A broken thermostat is pretty simple to diagnose. This problem is only with the new firmware. The printer works fine with the ancient Marlin firmware.

DLC

December 01, 2019 01:46PM
Hi,

I have a pretty similar problem. Upgraded my Anet A8 from Original to Ramps 1.6 with Marlin 1.8.10.
I can read the temperature from the hotend and the bed, and when i set the bed or hotend to heat up, there isn't even voltage on the connectors for them.

As a board i set BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB.

Even the Fan which is connected to D9 doesn't start.

br
michael
December 01, 2019 03:46PM
I suspect 1.1.8 is broken..

you should be using bugfix-1.1.x or bugfix-2.0.x
December 01, 2019 03:47PM
mf76130
Hi,

I have a pretty similar problem. Upgraded my Anet A8 from Original to Ramps 1.6 with Marlin 1.8.10.
I can read the temperature from the hotend and the bed, and when i set the bed or hotend to heat up, there isn't even voltage on the connectors for them.

As a board i set BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB.

Even the Fan which is connected to D9 doesn't start.

br
michael

I upgraded my Anet A8 to 1.1.8 using the custom profile for the A8 in the configurations folder. I used the same controller however, it worked first time.
I just tried using the 1.1.9bf firmware on my MicroKossel. No dice. I will either start tearing into the hardware/firmware relationship in the code or just call it a day and live with the old stuff.

DLC

December 01, 2019 03:50PM
Dust
I suspect 1.1.8 is broken..

you should be using bugfix-1.1.x or bugfix-2.0.x

It could be. But I installed it on my Anet A8, my custom Cartesian printer, The HE3D K200 delta and an FLSUN delta with no problems. ONLY this Kossel with a hotend and fan have given me trouble.

I have no clue what is going on, so lots of troubleshooting is coming down the road I fear,
DLC

December 01, 2019 11:09PM
I tried Marlin 1.1.9, 1.1.x bugfix, 2,0,x bugfix and i even tried Repertier 1.0.4 (Motherboard 33) - its always the same: no voltage on D8,D9,D10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login