Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0 Hardware

Posted by ToxicTiger 
Marlin 2.0 Hardware
December 08, 2019 03:57AM
Hi
I'm researching hardware for a new printer build. What's the current recommended hardware for marlin 2.0? Is there a better option at the moment or is it just down to price and features?
Re: Marlin 2.0 Hardware
December 08, 2019 05:03AM
That is a very loaded question like what is the best colour?

You need to decide a few things first...
Do you want 8 bit or 32 bit?
Do you want on board stepper drivers or replaceable modules?
What type of stepper drivers do you want?
How many stepper drivers will you need connected?
How many hotends?
How many fans?
Do you want future proofing or don't care as long as it works now?

Personally I like the SKR 1.3, for its cheapness, 32 bit lpc1768, 4 modular stepper drivers and well supported as they are very common.. But It does suffer from expand ability issues. It is what it is and can't be much more. Adding ABL is not straight forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 05:04AM by Dust.
December 09, 2019 01:35PM
Thanks for the reply.

My current setup is an Arduino mega with ramps 1.4 and TMC2130 drivers.

I guess 32bit is the way to go with a new build? I hadn't realised Marlin 2.0 would run on an 8 bit chip.

For the rest of the hardware I'm looking at the bear upgrade frame with mk52 bed and E3D Hemera.

I'm not likely to want more than one extruder.
December 12, 2019 07:17PM
If you already have a RAMPS and the drivers, you might want to take a look at the Re-ARM - it's an almost plug and play 32 bit replacement for the Arduino Mega. There are some differences with respect to display connectors (it supports the RepRapDiscount Full Graphics display but you need a slightly modified cable) and the fact that it's 3.3V instead of 5V so if you have any peripherals that run off 5V like a BLTouch you might need some more tweaks, but otherwise it's a straightforward upgrade.
December 13, 2019 02:56AM
The SKR v1.3 really was easy to setup for me. It has everything I need and in one case I couldn't use a proximity sensor because of the endstop pullups being hardwired. However, I changed pins in Marlin and it ran flawlessly.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 13, 2019 05:34AM
The SKR v1.4 has just been released. Looks like they addressed the probe issues

BTT SKR V1.4
December 13, 2019 08:59AM
Dust
The SKR v1.4 has just been released. Looks like they addressed the probe issues

BTT SKR V1.4

I'm so gonna buy this when it becomes available.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
December 16, 2019 02:59AM
Looks interesting. Thanks for the info.
December 23, 2019 02:37AM
I'm leaning more towards the skr1.3 , but what issues are there with ABL, I currently use a 3 wire proximity sensor which drives the -z limit input.
Also what expandability would I likely miss from the skr, but would benefit from with another board?
December 23, 2019 03:26AM
If you have a probe, get a SKR 1.4, not the older SKR 1.3

The 1.3 has pull up resistors on all end stops pins, which is not compatible with probes.

As for expand ability... that is up to you, are you wanting a 3rd extruder, a tool changer, self leaving heated beds with 3 independent stepper motors? you can't do any of those things with this board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login