Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manual movements move X Y Z twice the amount. Prints are sized good though.

Posted by esqueue 
Manual movements move X Y Z twice the amount. Prints are sized good though.
January 02, 2020 06:43PM
Hello everyone,

My Problem:
When not printing and I input gcode commands from any source (octoprint terminal, octoprint control menu, LCD, LCD terminal), to move my X, Y, and Z axis on my COREXY printer, it moves exactly twice the distance it looks like twice the speed. This would not be a problem but it ignores the set borders as it thinks that it is only halfway when it is at the limit. If I tell it to move X 10mm, it moves exactly X 20mm. My X, Y, and Z steps/mm are set to 80,80,400. The interesting thing is that prints come out dimensionally correct with these settings. I'm sure that my extruder would have the same problem as it over-extrudes like crazy when printing the micro print.

What I've tried:
I've tried setting the X, Y, and Z steps/mm to 40,40,200 in Marlin 2.0 and the menu moves exactly as it should and respects set boundaries but....The prints are small and it only prints in a quarter of the bed. I've also tried printing directly from my printer completely bypassing my Octoprint setup and the same thing. This issue is very difficult to search and from my searching, absolutely no one has this issue.

My setup
Tronxy CoreXY D01 printer, BTT SKR 1.3 mobo, BTT TFT35 LCD, TMC2208 UART drivers, Octoprint v1.3.12, 1.8° stepper motors, Marlin 2.0
Re: Manual movements move X Y Z twice the amount. Prints are sized good though.
January 02, 2020 07:36PM
Wondering if you have managed to set the printer to inches and the printed gcode switches it back to mm

And what does m503 say vs the steps/mm in firmware

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 07:38PM by Dust.
January 02, 2020 08:35PM
It can't be inches because the movement is exactly half and double depends on the settings when measured. As of now, both the firmware and M503 reports 80,80,400 for X Y and Z. I initially did the changes via FW but EEPROM kept rewriting them so I make them via terminal using M92 and M500 to save.

I'll give that inches/ cm thing a check though as I am trying anything at this moment.
January 02, 2020 08:40PM
Here is the M503 result. Thanks for the response BTW. I really do appreciate it.
[pastebin.com]
January 04, 2020 01:18AM
Okay, getting closer. Now, running M501 loads my exact settings displayed with M503 but it runs as it should until next reset.

A glitch with my EEPROM? I may try disabling it. M500 does nothing but update the exact same save. I will now go through and compare all my F/W to EEPROM settings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 01:37AM by esqueue.
January 07, 2020 02:45AM
I was learned about the M122 gcode from reading someone else's problems. Mine reads 1/8 micro-stepping after power on and turns to 16 before printing and after M501 or M502 commands.
I'll figure why it keeps going back to 1/8 despite it being set to 1/16 in both the EEPROM and Config files.
July 07, 2020 02:45PM
Have you been able to fix this problem. I am sett to 40,40,200, should be running at 80,80,400- as my steppers are 1/16/ on my I transplanted all my existing pruse component over the the hypecube configuration and up graded to marlin 2.0x. I would love to know why this is happening
Mega2560
Ramps 1.4
also for the fist time ever I enabled EEPROM
July 07, 2020 09:57PM
Yes, I did find the issue and gave the solution in lots of the sites. I forgot that I asked here. I'll paste my solution.

Apparently the TMC driver boards need full voltage 12-24 to get settings. Marlin auto sends them everytime M80 (Power supply On) command is sent but due my running 3 power supplies. A 5v 12A and two 12v 75a in series for 24v it has a slight delay. I had to add the line #define PSU_POWERUP_DELAY 1000 under #if ENABLED(PSU_CONTROL) in my configuration.h file to delay the config info on startup.

Now Marlin waits 1,000 milliseconds before sending the configuration files to the Drivers setting it to 1/16 microstepping instead of the 1/8 that it defaults to when turned off. That little delay gives everything enough time to power up. You may be able to shorten the delay or may need to extend it. Try with a large one of 5000 and see if it works then lower it.
July 08, 2020 07:46AM
I will do this today and get back to you as I am using standard A4988 drivers. lets hope this works.
July 08, 2020 12:40PM
nope this has not solved the issue. Guess I may need to try new drivers.. or a ramps board. would increasing the driver voltage make any difference?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 12:41PM by Gunship.
July 09, 2020 03:02AM
SOLVED. reset ramps, disabled EEPROM "Dont have a LCD, reloaded the firmware but now have 2 new issues, thermal runaway and not getting the printer to centre on the bed when printing.. Any ideas folks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login