Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0 upgrade via Apple Mac computer

Posted by Alwaysuptil1 
Marlin 2.0 upgrade via Apple Mac computer
February 06, 2020 12:50PM
has ANYONE had any success with this procedure on a mac? The most common thing I come across is, after doing a build the files don't save to ANYWHERE on my computer. So I have no .hex or .pio file ANYWHERE on my mac, even though it shows up in the Explorer directory tree on Visual Studio Code. Super weird and confusing. Anyone???
Re: Marlin 2.0 upgrade via Apple Mac computer
February 06, 2020 01:17PM
By default UNIX based operating systems (like MacOS) consider files and directories that start with a period to be "hidden" and won't show them. I believe there is a Finder setting that will make them show up, otherwise you can use the Goto Directory menu option and explicitly type in .pio to go into the .pio directory.
February 06, 2020 08:11PM
That totally WORKED!!!!

however..... now when I try to upgrade the Firmware through the Octoprint firmware updater, it can't find the 'path' for AVRDUDE. I have no idea what any of that is or how to show it the path to the AVRDUDE.

Nevertheless, you've been great with solving the hidden files on the mac! So very grateful!
February 06, 2020 08:30PM
BTW, on a MAC, hitting command+shift+. (the period key) is what reveals any hidden files. For future reference.....
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 07, 2020 05:57PM
Hello,
To answer your OP... Yes...
Ender 5 (Melzi/ ATMega1284P board) went from Crealitiy's version ?1.6 Marlin to Marlin 2.0.3

I assume you have a raspberry Pi as well (as you're using Octoprint!!)...

Arduino IDE works on Mac... remember to find and load the Sanguino and U8glib libraries...

I followed the step by step, loading boot loader first, then carried on with Marlin... from this website... [www.fission3d.com]

AFAIK, you need something like Arduino/ Pi/ ISP between Mac and printer... I didn't have luck with USBTinyISP and have Pi's

My board didn't have boot loader to start with, which is why I tried with Tiny ISP first (you don't need boot loader!)

BUT...

Octoprint and Marlin 2.0.3 are not playing nicely at the moment... and Marlin has switched my Home settings... for some reason it homes to back right, but calls front left 0,0,0!
So I need to re slice all gcode that I have saved.

Also the manual bed levelling, which I was doing very successfully, has disappeared... I used to Auto Home then Disable XY steppers and manually (paper method) check levelling (never far out!)
but now the only option on Screen is Disable all steppers. (i can't remember if there is a config.h setting to allow only XY...)

My current work around was to add the GCode plugin to Octoprint and after auto home to send a manual M18 X Y gcode command, which disables X&Y steppers

I also created a custom boot screen, but it doesn't show Grrr!

Vid
February 09, 2020 02:24AM
I am still unsuccessful in getting the .hex file of Marlin 2.0 from my macbook pro to my CR-10s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login