Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Error message on attempted verification of Marlin firmware

Posted by richard_d_m 
Error message on attempted verification of Marlin firmware
February 15, 2020 08:57PM
The extruder thermistor circuit seems to have died on my Wilson II printer so I would like to move the thermistor contact from its present position on the board to one of the two redundant thermistor slots. I have changed the pin numbering in pin.h but when I verify the Marlin file, I get an error message at line 139 in the SD2Card.h file. This line reads as follows:

#define SD_CHIP_SELECT_PIN SS_PIN

and the error message is:

'SS_PIN was not declared in this scope'.

The program seems to be expecting an entry of some type. What does this mean and how do I correct it. Your help would be truly appreciated. I get the same message with 1.6.10 and 1.8.12 so it does not seem to be an IDE issue.
Re: Error message on attempted verification of Marlin firmware
February 15, 2020 10:07PM
The line #define SD_CHIP_SELECT_PIN SS_PIN says make SD_CHIP_SELECT_PIN equal to SS_PIN

The error say that SS_PIN is not defined anywhere

This is the chip select pin for the sdcard.
February 16, 2020 09:45AM
Thank you for your input. Does this mean I need something like: #define SS_PIN (); . If so, in which file should this be found and is a pin number assignment expected for the define statement?
February 16, 2020 09:53AM
yes you need a #define SS_PIN {a pin number}

What pin depends on your motherboard and lcd type.

This is normally in the pins.h file for your controller board.

but you haven't told us what motherboard you have or what lcd...
February 16, 2020 10:28AM
In the config.h file, one sees #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_PICA_REVB and #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

In the pins.h file, one sees #define BOARD_NAME "PICA" and #define LCD_SDSS 53. Is the latter number, the pin assigned for the SS_PIN?
February 16, 2020 10:48AM
Never even heard of that board before... very obscure..

yes it looks like 53 is what you want

so add a #define SS_PIN 53 to your pins_PICAOLD.h file
February 16, 2020 11:01AM
I added #define SS_PINS 53 to the pins_PICAOLD.h file although there is already a #define LCD_SDSS 53 in that file. Marlin verification failed again with the same error message at the same point.

By the way, the PICA board was designed by Marty Rice who produced the Wilson II printer for a few years but as since gone out of business..at least, the printer business.
February 16, 2020 12:11PM
Found this may Help

[www.tindie.com]

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
February 16, 2020 12:35PM
Thanks for the Tindie reference, it was a good idea, but I had actually already replaced the original Marlin pins.h file with Marty's Pica version. I had also included Marty's configuration.h file. I tried adding #define SS_PIN 53 to Marty's Pica file but verification of the resulting Marlin file threw another error in the Marlin_main.cpp file before it even got to the SD2 Card.h file.
February 16, 2020 11:02PM
Where did you get this firmware?

What version of marlin are you trying to compile this on?
February 17, 2020 11:35AM
Good day! The Marlin file came from GitHub.com/mjrice/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix-mjrice which I understood to be Marty's latest version, the pin.h file from www.tindie.com/products/mjrice/pica-rerap-arduino-mega-shield and the configuration.h file from GitHub.com/mjrice/Wilson. I have tried other versions of Marlin from the Marlin website and just substituting Marty's configuration.h and pin.h files but without success.
February 18, 2020 12:35AM
All very confusing....
The Configuration.h file you point to at GitHub.com/mjrice/Wilson is not compatible with the Marlin you pointed to. It is for pre v1 Marlin.
The pins files is not needed as it is already in GitHub.com/mjrice/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix-mjrice

So what I did

Download Marlin from GitHub.com/mjrice/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix-mjrice (If using git clone you have to change branch to RCBugFix-mjrice as it defaults to RCBugFix. RCBugFix does not have Configuration_mjrice.h or the required pins files.)
move Configuration_mjrice.h over Configuration.h

It compiles without issues.

Edit: comparing configurations, Configuration_mjrice.h is for Wilson 2, so probably will not work for you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 04:34AM by Dust.
February 18, 2020 03:33AM
I was bored so I've created a marlin bugfix 2.0.x branch for reprap Wilson

I have no machine to try this on. But configuration is ported from the old configuration.h you found and added the pins files.

Give [github.com] a try.

Use caution... working from old configuration files doesn't always work.
Test everything first, do NOT just assume and hit print!
Test endstops.
check temperatures seem sane for room tempature
Test motion.
Test heating.
Test LCD controls works.

If things don't work, let me know, and we will try and work through any issues,

Once it is working considering releasing as example config file for Marlin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 04:54AM by Dust.
February 18, 2020 10:52AM
Thank you, Dust, I will work on this later today and get back to you.

So, I now have the program verifying but not uploading. My mistake was to think that I needed to convert pins_PICA.h to pins.h in order to switch the thermistor pin settings as they are not listed in the pins.h file. I believe now that the pins.h file actually calls the pins_PICA.h file and so my pin changes that are made in that file are used indirectly. At least that is what I am hoping. In any case, as you found too, the file verifies without any problem. It does seem to object to the redefinition of the X_MIN_POS from 0 in an earlier line to 10 in combination with the #if define Z_RACK_PINION #define X_MIN_POS 10 statements but still verifies. However, an error occurs on uploading although the memory demands of the sketch are well within the limits; e.g., sketch uses 48% of program storage space and global variables uses 55%. I am assuming that the Mega 2560 board does not require a bootloader and can be loaded directly from Arduino.

I have checked that the COM 5 serial port is in Device Manager and set for 115200 baud rate as per the Marlin configuration.h file. I have tried two Arduino packages, 1.6.10 and the most recent. I am receiving an error message that suggests that the program is not communicating with the board; e.g., "stk500_send(): failed to send to serial port" and "ser_recv(): read error: the handle is invalid".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 09:23PM by richard_d_m.
February 19, 2020 03:27PM
Got it uploaded at last! The key seemed to be attaching the printer (via USB ) after I booted up and loaded Marlin in Arduino and set the COM port. Then, the program uploaded with ease. Unfortunately, the presumed change in thermistor pins (assuming it was read) had no impact on the extrusion temperature control. The upload did, however, mess up the LCD settings; I seem to have lost fine control on the LCD controller and the motors only move one way. It looks like I will have to redefine the zero point. This Marlin software seems incomplete compared to that that came with the machine. Oh, well, another day, another problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 03:34PM by richard_d_m.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login