Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0.3 error compiling

Posted by byrnet 
Marlin 2.0.3 error compiling
February 21, 2020 03:15PM
Okay this is my first rodeo with firmware for printers. I have used the Arduino Uno for projects.
When I compile to verify I keep getting this error:

fork/exec C:\Users\timot\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc.exe: The filename or extension is too long.
Error compiling for board Sanguino.

I spent like the last 4 hours googling and watching youtube videos but can not find how to correct this issue.

Trying to upgrade an Ender 3 with the new silent board and figured might as well upgrade firmware too.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks
Re: Marlin 2.0.3 error compiling
February 21, 2020 04:51PM
This is because of an Arduino limitation on the maximum command line length for linking. There are several options you cad take to try to fix this:
  • Move your Marlin folder to the root of your hard drive - i.e. C:\Marlin (or even C:\M)
  • Delete the HAL folders (under src/HAL) for any boards you aren't using
  • Switch to PlatformIO for compiling Marlin (as described in Installing Marlin (PlatformIO)
The latter is probably your best option - not only should it solve the problem you are seeing, but many people have found that PlatformIO generates more efficient code that might allow you to enable some extra features even on the very limited Creality boards.
February 21, 2020 05:13PM
Thanks,
I was just trying PlatformIO with VsCode but it errored as well

Marlin\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\../../inc/../pins/sanguino/pins_SANGUINOLOLU_11.h:56:4: error: #error "Oops! Select 'Sanguino' in 'Tools > Boards' and 'ATmega644P' or 'ATmega1284P' in 'Tools > Processor.'"

I can't find where to set them in PlatformIO

I will try your other suggestions as well.
Thanks again
February 21, 2020 06:00PM
Edit the platformio.ini file and change the line near the beginning that says "default_envs" so it reads like:

default_envs = melzi
February 21, 2020 06:25PM
============================= 1 succeeded in 00:02:51.694 =============================

That looks like it did the trick, you my friend are awesome. I have been going at it for 7 hours....dropped loads of F-bombs LOL
Thank you
Thank You
Thank You
February 21, 2020 10:03PM
Well I stand corrected, It failed again
February 22, 2020 02:24AM
same error message? seems unlikely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login