Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0.4: Bed Heating Failure

Posted by JMS728 
Marlin 2.0.4: Bed Heating Failure
February 25, 2020 10:24AM
Hey y'all I just upgraded the firmware on my printer from 1.1.8 to 2.0.4 yesterday and I ran into a couple of issues.

Bed Related Hardware:
  • Azteeg X3 PRO
  • AD8495 Temperature Sensor
  • Crydom DR24D12 SSR
  • VIKI 2.0

When heating, the bed SSR status light is on until it gets within 10oC of the target temperature and then it starts rapidly blinking. I tried heating at the standard 60oC but it kept stopping at 50oC. I repeated this going up to 80oC and it consistently stopped at 10 under. The failure message I keep getting is along the lines of "bed heating failed: printer halted please reset."

The hardware should be fine since I had just finished a print running 1.1.8 with no issues so that makes me think there's a setting in Marlin that I'm missing. Is there something that slows down the heating process before it reaches the target temp?
Re: Marlin 2.0.4: Bed Heating Failure
February 25, 2020 11:48AM
I use WinMerge when transferring my configurations, however when converting from marlin 1.1.x to Marlin 2.0.x there lies a different problem.
As you will Note: the configuration variable names have changed making a quick copy paste almost obsolete.

The lines in the configuration files are farther apart making it harder to keep the lines aligned using WinMerge so using this different method worked for me.
I open both files in separate Arduino IDE's windows in half screen mode scrolling to the area needing converting and convert data manually from the lower to higher version.

After converting to Marlin 2.0.0 alpha again use WinMerge as the lines were closely matched to see for transfers to newer version of marlin 2.0.x.
An the variable names again remain somewhat constant.

Sorry could not actually help with this problem, I hope by comparing the files you find a difference that fixes it..

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 11:54AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
February 25, 2020 12:11PM
Roberts_Clif
After converting to Marlin 2.0.0 alpha again use WinMerge as the lines were closely matched to see for transfers to newer version of marlin 2.0.x.
An the variable names again remain somewhat constant.

Sorry could not actually help with this problem, I hope by comparing the files you find a difference that fixes it..

Just to confirm, you're recommending that I initially move my settings to Marlin 2.0.0 alpha because the variables are defined more closely to 1.1.x and from there use WinMerge to compare alpha to 2.0.x?

I'll try this out and get back to you. I'm a ME so I move a little slow when dealing with code so it may take a day or two before I can get back with a response.
February 25, 2020 07:59PM
No!
Was merely stating that I started using Marlin 2 alpha when doing the conversion.

Asking if you would compare the settings again from Marlin 1.1.8 to Marlin 2.0.x using a different type method liked I talked about.

In other words double check your configuration. If same problem post configuration to share like google drive and post link here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 08:04PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 25, 2020 09:41AM
I was sent a PM which made me realize that I never posted my solution here.

With the set up I have, the solid state relay only has an on/off ability so using the bang bang heating method was what I needed to have enabled and not PID. Through talking with some people we're pretty sure the relay was rapidly turning on and off to try to regulate the bed temp but it's not really designed for switching that fast which is what caused my issues. Performing the autoPID tuning did help but it was not as efficient as using bang bang.

Hope this helps someone else!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login