Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0 newbie questions

Posted by Reefsider 
Marlin 2.0 newbie questions
March 18, 2020 05:46PM
Hi, I am trying again to get marlin set up on an SKR board. I have both an SKR V1.3 and a Mini DIP V1.0.

I had tried in the past but could never get the firmware onto the board. I did get a successful build with Visual Studio Code and platformio. Anyways, I'm trying again now that I have some time and all the boards ready to use.

My first question is which Marlin 2.0.X to use? I was using the 2.0 bugfix but I see there is a 2.0.5 version now. Is Marlin 2.0.5 the one I want to start my build with now?

thanks
Re: Marlin 2.0 newbie questions
March 18, 2020 10:31PM
A somewhat pointless question if you can't even upload to the board....

I would recommend bugfix as that is where all the fixes go first.
March 18, 2020 10:43PM
Some hints

The sd card that comes with these board is complete garbage, do not use them.

The two boards SKR V1.3 and the Mini DIP V1.0. are very different processors and the upload procedure is different.

For the SKR V1.3 you put the sd card into the controller and plug the controller into the pc. (if you just have usb cables and now power supply you need to set the power jumper to USB, but make sure you put it back when you plug in powersupply.) The SD card should show on the computer as a drive. The firmware upload script looks for the drive that is the SD card in your controller. It needs a volume label REARM or the file FIRMWARE.CUR to locate where to put the new firmware file.
The SKR V1.3 also actually only loads the firmware on reboot of the controller. So you need to upload then reset or re-power the board. Then give it 30 seconds or so to actually update the firmware.

The Mini Dip is done manually. You have to mount the SD card in a USB/SD card reader on your computer and manually copy the compiled firmware to it. Then put the sd card into the controller and reboot/re-power it.
March 19, 2020 03:35PM
Dust
Some hints

The sd card that comes with these board is complete garbage, do not use them.

The two boards SKR V1.3 and the Mini DIP V1.0. are very different processors and the upload procedure is different.

For the SKR V1.3 you put the sd card into the controller and plug the controller into the pc. (if you just have usb cables and now power supply you need to set the power jumper to USB, but make sure you put it back when you plug in powersupply.) The SD card should show on the computer as a drive. The firmware upload script looks for the drive that is the SD card in your controller. It needs a volume label REARM or the file FIRMWARE.CUR to locate where to put the new firmware file.
The SKR V1.3 also actually only loads the firmware on reboot of the controller. So you need to upload then reset or re-power the board. Then give it 30 seconds or so to actually update the firmware.

The Mini Dip is done manually. You have to mount the SD card in a USB/SD card reader on your computer and manually copy the compiled firmware to it. Then put the sd card into the controller and reboot/re-power it.

Thank you, this is very useful. This is why i had trouble getting it on the board. I could get the V1.3 to be read by the computer but I couldn't get the E3 DIP to connect. I had compiled marlin for the E3 DIP so i never got it working and got busy with other things. I now have a use for both boards so I will attempt to do this again. The E3 DIP is a replacement for my Monoprice Select Mini V1. Once it is up and running i will attempt to figure out how to load marlin onto the original board and use this for something else.

I have a quality 4GB card I just formatted and put a volume label of REARM on it (FAT32, Default allocation size)

I also bought an MKS TFT35 touchscreen to use for now and have a BTT TFT35 V2.0 for the SKR V1.3. From what I understand these have their own firmware/OS i have to install? I think i have the configuration good to test but I can't seem to get a display set up.

One big problem is the instructions say to connect the screen from aAUX1 to AUX1 which is fine for the V1.3 but the E3 DIP doesnt have an AUX1. Does this mean i can't use the E3 DIP with this screen?

Thank you for your help

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2020 05:19PM by Reefsider.
March 19, 2020 11:37PM
So I got marlin to compile finally. I tried to use the old config file with the newly downloaded marlin 2.0.X bugfix and it wouldn't work. I ended up having to completely delete the entire folder and start over from zip file. I used the older config.h values and changed the new file. now it compiles successfully but I get this one problem in the build. here is the terminal output that comes up in yellow:

Building in release mode
Compiling .pio\build\STM32F103RC_btt\src\src\gcode\lcd\M0_M1.cpp.o
Marlin\src\gcode\lcd\M0_M1.cpp: In static member function 'static void GcodeSuite::M0_M1()':
Marlin\src\gcode\lcd\M0_M1.cpp:59:14: warning: unused variable 'seenQ' [-Wunused-variable]
const bool seenQ = parser.seen('Q');

Is this anything to be concerned about?
March 28, 2020 12:38PM
Just an update:

I ended up downloading and setting up marlin 2.0.5 latest release and all the errors went away.

So I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong or there was a problem with the file but 2.0.5 seems to compile just fine so I'll use that

Thank you again for the input.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login