Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

G28 Z; ignores endstop

Posted by rbtwas 
G28 Z; ignores endstop
May 01, 2020 04:41PM
And before chorus of groans begins:

Z endstop:
-Z-min end stop function *verified* via M119 and manual actuation (*triggered*/*open* on manual actuation)
-Z-min axis end stop switch *verified* functional by testing against X axis (homing works on X, Y)

Behavior:
issued (via serial port) and z axis promptly crashes into table despite limit switch being actuated.

Things tried:
-different switches
-verification of switch operation using meter/oscilloscope
-Z-min, Z-max switches (manually actuated during G28 evolution)
-switch in question used on X axis (temporarily wired, manual actuation of Z switch for X axis, does trigger complete homing behavior)
-M119 verification

I've also poured over the documentation regarding endstops, probing, and config settings, I'm not seeing what might cause it
( #define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN) is enabled but that's the default.

My configuration file has only been minimally changed to select for ramps 1.4.

Marlin version: 1.1.9
hardware: ramps 1.4/mega2560 controller
printer: custom
Re: G28 Z; ignores endstop
May 01, 2020 06:18PM
I would guess that depends on how you have Marlin configured. And which direction it thinks the end-stops are located.
If Marlin believes the are on MAX instead of MIN then it will never stop

My Configuration For an example
// Mechanical end-stop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false

#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Post these lines of code with where your end-stops are located and how they are wired, this will make troubleshooting easier.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 01, 2020 09:36PM
>
Roberts_Clif
>I would guess that depends on how you have Marlin configured. And which direction it thinks the end-stops are located.
>If Marlin believes the are on MAX instead of MIN then it will never stop

As I mentioned in my first post, I installed Z-min and Z-max switches and manually actuated them while "G28 Z" was in
progress.

Z travel, at least for G0/G1 has been verified, I can print normally with machine and issue manual G0/G1 commands
and see Z moves down for small position, and up for larger ones (relative mode).

I have also verified the polarity of the switch behavior with "M119".

>My Configuration For an example
// Mechanical end-stop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Post these lines of code with where your end-stops are located and how they are wired, this will make troubleshooting easier.

#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the

#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Config file attached.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 09:42PM by rbtwas.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (71.5 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (69.8 KB)
May 02, 2020 07:59AM
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 10.616, 10.616, 5.308, 500 }

#define X_BED_SIZE 100
#define Y_BED_SIZE 100
#define Z_MAX_POS 100

If appears that you are working on something like a M3D Micro 3D Printer/Clone.
Could you post the location of the Z-Axis End-Stop switch and how it is wired NO/NC.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 03, 2020 07:44AM
Roberts_Clif
It appears that you are working on something like a M3D Micro 3D Printer/Clone.
Could you post the location of the Z-Axis End-Stop switch and how it is wired NO/NC.

The printer is custom made. The intended switch is incorporated as a limit screw that also serves as
an electrical contact attached to a passive sub-slide which the hotend is mounted on. When the nozzle
contacts the bed, the sub-slide is lifted, opening the limit screw contact. There is a debounce circuit
made with monostable multivibrator to stretch the initial pulse *or'd* with the switch input signal which
provides a constant *triggered* value after the monstable multivibrator ends it's pulse.

This is all irrelevant as I have said that I have tried external switches (optical interrupters) on both
Z-min and Z-max connections on the ramps board. The switches were actuated *manually* while
the G28 Z command was in progress. Marlin did not respond to *any* switch actuation combination.

Again, Z-min circuits have been verified with the M119 command (triggered/open seen
on Z-min).

I have replicated these tests on a known good axis (X axis). Manual actuation of switches works on the X axis during
a G28 X cycle. The experimental switch *works* on the X axis (actuated manually) as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 07:47AM by rbtwas.
May 03, 2020 08:14AM
I think I found it!

To deal with an inverted motor I do:

M92 X169.856 Y168.856 Z-84.928 E101.92; # set steps per unit (with invert..)

Note the "-" on the Z.

If I do:
M92 X169.856 Y168.856 Z84.928 E101.92; (no invert on Z)

G28 Z *does* respond to the Z-min switch (manual actuation). Although it moves
in the wrong direction.

This looks like a bug or something.

I wonder if by inverting Z it's looking for Z-max instead. I'm see a "USE_ZMAX_PLUG" being *undefined* and required
to enable Z-max in Configuration.h.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 08:25AM by rbtwas.
May 19, 2020 04:52PM
there is a setting to deal with inverted motors. Your fix it trying to tell it to go to Z= -84

// Invert the stepper direction. Change (or reverse the motor connector) if an axis goes the wrong way.

That is mine and are not default.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login