Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is MARLIN 2.x still FOSS ??? (Withdrawn)

Posted by LewTwo 
Is MARLIN 2.x still FOSS ??? (Withdrawn)
August 18, 2020 06:33PM
EDIT: IGNORE THIS THREAD or see the my posted dated 20 Aug 2020.

I am going to get flamed for this ... so be it.

The Arduino IDE had three very big advantages:
1) It was free
2) It was FOSS (Free and open-source software)
3) It works across platforms

With the 32 bit version of Marlin 2.X the Arduino IDE is no longer used. Instead everyone recommends Microsoft Visual Studio or Atom. Atom dropped the "IDE" feature in December of 2018. So now the official recommendation is Microsoft Visual Studio:
https://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/install_platformio.html
Atom is no longer supported by PlatformIO. While it may partly work, you should switch to Visual Studio Code for future installs.
https://marlinfw.org/docs/basics/install_platformio_atom.html
As of this writing, Atom can still be used to some extent, but going forward PlatformIO will be focusing its main support on Visual Studio Code, so this is the editor we recommend, and it’s a very good environment.

Microsoft Visual Studio primarily runs on Microsoft Windows (it is supposed run on MAC as well but I have heard that there are some problems with that implementation). I question the legitimacy of the claim of being FOSS when one is required to acquire a separate computer with a commercial, proprietary operating system in order to compile the source.

Also being dependent on anything Microsoft produces and controls is fraught with unforeseen dangers. They could drop the complete development system in favor of some brilliant (read profitable) new system they have come up with. They have done it before and they will do it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2020 05:33AM by LewTwo.
Re: Is MARLIN 2.x still FOSS ???
August 18, 2020 10:53PM
This is just flame bate.

Your statements are full of false information or blatant lies.

Edited as I missed something obvious
Lie #1 "everyone recommends Microsoft Visual Studio "
No vscode is recommended. This is a different product.

It runs on Linux, I use it daily. Hundreds do... It runs way better on Linux than it does on Windows
The main Marlin developer runs it on a Mac.

Lie #2
"With the 32 bit version of Marlin 2.X the Arduino IDE is no longer used"

It it no longer recommended.

You can still use Arduino IDE. A great deal of time is wasted by developers to maintaining compatibility with this IDE.

There is one exception to this.The LPC1768/9 platform is not supported on Arduino IDE, as the framework is custom, written by one one the marlin dev, and only written for platformio.

Why Arduino IDE is no longer recommended.

Arduino IDE is:

Slow, it has no way to skip compiling unneeded files that platformio can skip. So it compiles all files and then discards them at link time,
You need to manually install any libraries, when platformio automatically downloads all required libraries and correct versions
Has no auto build. marlin on platformio has a nice autobuild feature so the user can just click a few buttons and build a standard firmware. Without even having to look at the code.
Has no syntax highlighting, making reading and editing code way harder than it needs to be.
Is just a text editor with some scripting..vscode is a coding editor, it know about coding. for eg if your looking at a function and what to know where ist was defined, just right click..
Arduino IDE also doesn't consider host operating system limits. In particular Windows has a Exec limit of 32k characters.
With Arduino IDE it tries to link all files it complied together on one very long command line. This easily breaks on windows when it exceeds the 32k limit.

platformio is also a opensource product
vscode is just a code editor. and if MS should be the A holes they normally are, another editor can be used. Its just not as use friendly.
vscode doesn't actually contribute to marlin, its just the GUI for the compiler platformio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 02:14AM by Dust.
August 18, 2020 11:13PM
Also your definition of open source is also screwed up

Open source is just that. there is sufficient source materials and bin's files to build the software

It does not imply that the tools or operating system you may require are also open source.
August 18, 2020 11:43PM
Dust
This is just flame bate.

Your statements are full of false information or blatant lies.
Actually it is a matter of economics.
I do not run MS Windows operating system and per Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 requires Microsoft Windows.

[docs.microsoft.com]
================================================================
Visual Studio 2019 System Requirements
The following products support the minimum system requirements below:

Visual Studio Enterprise 2019
Visual Studio Professional 2019
Visual Studio Community 2019
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Office Integration 2019
VISUAL STUDIO 2019 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Supported Operating Systems

Visual Studio 2019 will install and run on the following operating systems (64 bit recommended; ARM is not supported):

Windows 10 version 1703 or higher: Home, Professional, Education, and Enterprise (LTSC and S are not supported)
Windows Server 2019: Standard and Datacenter
Windows Server 2016: Standard and Datacenter
Windows 8.1 (with Update 2919355): Core, Professional, and Enterprise
Windows Server 2012 R2 (with Update 2919355): Essentials, Standard, Datacenter
Windows 7 SP1 (with latest Windows Updates): Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
================================================================

I note that they do not mention Mac as well but ....

I will likely have to build a VM and get a MS Windows license in order to do a custom compile for my Ender 2 and the BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V2.0.
It may still compile under the Arduino IDE but all the instructions that I have found are for Visual Studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 12:14AM by LewTwo.
August 19, 2020 12:11AM
vscode is not Visual Studio!

[code.visualstudio.com]

no the recommendation is platformio on vscode

main install document [marlinfw.org]
"PlatformIO in VSCode
PlatformIO in Atom
PlatformIO in Sublime
PlatformIO Command-Line"

It does not mention Visual studio.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 02:08AM by Dust.
August 19, 2020 03:06AM
Don't feed the trolls.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
August 19, 2020 03:24AM
I removed their canopy of ignorance that shielded them from the sunlight

They shouldn't bother us again for a while, unless they risk turning to stone.
August 19, 2020 08:43AM
I am not a troll.
You do not seem to know the difference between an text editor and an IDE.
The reference from microsoft is for "Visual Studio" not "Visual Studio Code".

And as far as that goes "Visual Studio Code" is available across platforms: Windows, Mac and Linux.
August 19, 2020 09:55AM
You are complaining that marlin is not opensource due to it needing visual studio

but this is a false!, it uses vscode
August 19, 2020 10:55AM
Dust
You are complaining that marlin is not opensource due to it needing visual studio

Correct ... that is what all the references, guides, tutorials, examples and guides reference.
None of them reference Visual Studio Code (which to my understanding is the code editor -- actually I prefer geany for that).

I assume (allways a dangerous proposition) that Visual Studio Code needs a tool chain behind it to assemble, compile and link the object code.
Now I guess one could perform all these processes manually if one fully understands the build process but Marlin is a complex project (from my perspective at least).
I have been looking at the Platformio suite that runs in the background with Visual Studio to perform these tasks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 10:58AM by LewTwo.
August 19, 2020 12:23PM
"Correct ... that is what all the references, guides, tutorials, examples and guides reference.
None of them reference Visual Studio Code (which to my understanding is the code editor -- actually I prefer geany for that)."

WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG

WRONG

None of the tutorial show anything but vscode.

DId you even read [marlinfw.org] ?
"Installing Marlin (VSCode)"

and what is the 4th line down?? "PlatformIO turns VSCode into a complete IDE for compiling and developing Marlin."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 12:27PM by Dust.
August 20, 2020 05:30AM
I hate to admit it ... but you are correct and I am wrong.sad smileyangry smiley

My only excuses are: old age, senility, too little sleep and blatant stupidity.
Earlier today I went back and rechecked the tutorials.
They did indeed state "Microsoft Visual Studio Code"
You have my most humble and sincere apologies as well as thanks for being persistent enough to drive the point home.

On the positive side:
I have now ordered the parts to repair/rebuild/upgrade the boards in both my Creality "Ender 2" and "CR-10" printers.
(I use the word "repair" because there was a wee 'magic smoke' problem with the Ender 2 that has had them sitting idle for some time).
The BIQU SKR Mini E3 V2.0 and BLTouch will be a major upgrade to both of these machines.

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2020 05:44AM by LewTwo.
VDX
Re: Is MARLIN 2.x still FOSS ??? (Withdrawn)
August 20, 2020 05:41AM
smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login