Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cnc3018 + ender 3 pro board

Posted by ryder2012 
cnc3018 + ender 3 pro board
October 13, 2020 05:48PM
hey guys, so i bought an ender 3 pro, i also ordered the skr mini e3 v2 board and a cnc 3018 desktop engraver thingy-mebob

im going to be using the cnc engraver for making my own pcbs as i do alot of commision scale models as i can program up and install electronics for total customisation for the client.

now, i have the stock ender 3 pro board kicking around which i'd like to install into the cnc 3018 simply because it has various capabilities the arduino driven cnc3018 board doesnt have ports for. (afaik) also the marlin software is so much better than grbl junk.

im completely new to marlin so im wondering how difficult it is going to be? i plan on adding axis switches, ABL and some other junk to it but would it be difficult to modify marlin from the ender 3 board to allow bigger control over the cnc machine?
VDX
Re: cnc3018 + ender 3 pro board
October 14, 2020 03:50AM
... hmmm ... the question (and the answer too) is something difficult ...

What's your programming experience/background in cpp, python and the Arduino-IDE (or another Atmega/AVR-IDE's)?

I've done this for pastedispensers, laserengravers and NC/CNC-applications with Marlin4Due and Pronterface on the PC -- a bunch of modifications to adopt them for the "environment" and/or aditional tools ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 14, 2020 08:48AM
It's really easy. I have made a pen plotter with my old ramps board for example using Marlin. It even has an LCD. Marlin handles the curves extremely well nowadays.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 14, 2020 10:24AM
hi people, thanks for the replies,

my ability is i'd say 3 or 4 out of 10 (ten being highly skilled lol)

i can competently follow tutorials. i took the marlin 2.0 stock build for ender 3 from bittreetechs e3 mini v2 and compiled it to enable the filament runout and bltouch with the help of an online guide (youtube)

so i can do that. lmao.

im intrigued by the pen plotter, as far as i can see, both 3d printers, pen plotters, engravers are all the same really just heights are inverted. so where would be a good place to begin? i'd like to load up marlin 2.0 configured for a cnc machine onto the stock ender 3 board but also know there are space limitations to the on board chip
VDX
October 14, 2020 10:26AM
... for this my question for the "background" -- it can be pretty easy/straightforward ... but what, if not? - then you'll need some programming skills ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 14, 2020 10:56AM
V1 Engineering has marlin firmware setup for their MPCNC.
You could take a look you may find it will work with very minor changes.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
VDX
October 14, 2020 12:41PM
... my machines with this style are all based on an ArduinoDue board with Marlin4Due (RADDS or a compatible "industry"-variant with 24V-I/O's), so "enough space" and speed smoking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login