Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to upload Marlin to Mega2560 clone

Posted by Meyer 
Unable to upload Marlin to Mega2560 clone
December 15, 2020 10:51AM
Hey

I'm currently making my first 3d printer and I went with the cheap option of mega 2560 + ramps 1.4 clone set. As one might guess I'm quite unexperienced with this arduino stuff. So when I try to upload the default marlin 2.0 on the mega it freezes for 5-10 minutes showing the red error lines (picture) after which it shows the compiling error. I have uploaded grbl on the mega so I know it definitely works. If I left out some important information I am here to tell more. Any help is highly appreciated!

Best regards, Meyer
Attachments:
open | download - error2.PNG (94.7 KB)
Re: Unable to upload Marlin to Mega2560 clone
December 15, 2020 01:19PM
This is quite normal as the Arduino IDE compiler is quite slow on compiling such a complex firmware.
I myself just got tired of the wait and Updated to Visual Studio Code > PlatformIO > Marlin auto Build
what one took what felt like forever to compile now compiles in just over a minute.

Please read everything on the link before you start, I did not and it took me way to long to get it working correctly.

Do not get me wrong you can compile it with the Arduino IDE 1.8.9 or Higher nothing lower will.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2020 01:25PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
December 16, 2020 06:41AM
That sounds like a great improvement but it doesn't solve my problem as I can't upload it at all, it errors out every time. Also on the arduino website 1.8.13 seems to be the newest version, I can not see any 1.8.9 that you mentioned.

Meyer
December 16, 2020 06:55AM
The image you provided just shows warnings. you need to scroll (probably up) to find the actual error message and post an image of that
December 16, 2020 08:54AM
Ok so I have reinstalled the arduino ide 1.8.13 and redownloaded the marlin firmware but nothing has changed. I'm getting the same errors after 5 minutes of compiling and warnings flowing though the console. Also the ide freezes completely after it finally spits out the error so I'm not able to scroll the console or copy the error message, in fact I cant even close the ide, not even in task manager. I have now tried 10-15 times with minor changes every time but I'm not getting any progress. Here is another error screen in case it helps anyone recognizing the problem...
Attachments:
open | download - error3.PNG (120.6 KB)
December 16, 2020 12:51PM
Still only warnings.

Look for something that says Error.

And use Platfomio, it is 1000 time better than ardunio ide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 01:00PM by Dust.
December 16, 2020 01:29PM
Here is the error, undefined reference to setup/loop
Attachments:
open | download - error.PNG (24.8 KB)
December 16, 2020 02:32PM
I just installed vcstudio, platformio and marlin autobuild extension. After one upload error I got what seems like a succesfull upload (picture). The problem I'm having with the marlin autobuild is in the configure tab it says "configuration tool under construction" and the firmware is for 200x200 cartesian printer where my printer is a 235^2 corexy. Is there an easier way to change the configuration than manually changing everything in the config.h? That's kinda the whole point of the auto build extension I guess...

And thanks for the help so far
Attachments:
open | download - upload.PNG (130.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login