Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 2.0.5.3 to 2.0.7.2 challenges

Posted by jdebuhr 
Marlin 2.0.5.3 to 2.0.7.2 challenges
December 21, 2020 09:35PM
Hello,

I am wanting to go from 2.0.5.3 to 2.0.7.2, I can compile the 2.0.5.3 in Arduino IDE but cannot do it with 2.0.7.2.

I remember someone saying PlatformIO is the better alternative.. so I have gone through a bunch fo stuff I go to the Auto Build Marlin. I have my Config files in the 2.0.7.2 directory but when I try to run I get this:
PS C:\RepRap\Marlin-2.0.x> platformio run -e rambo
platformio : The term 'platformio' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
At line:1 char:1
+ platformio run -e rambo
+ ~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (platformioconfused smileytring) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\RepRap\Marlin-2.0.x> echo "done" >C:\Users\jeffd\AppData\Local\Temp\ipc

Now I think I added the right info to the system path to allowing it to run. This is the Path I added
C:\Users\jeffd\.platformio\penv\Scripts;

but I still get the error..

Please Help
Re: Marlin 2.0.5.3 to 2.0.7.2 challenges
December 21, 2020 09:44PM
Made progress.. Helps to reboot the PC.. however I still get errors

PS C:\RepRap\Marlin-2.0.x> platformio run -e rambo
Processing rambo (platform: atmelavr; board: reprap_rambo; framework: arduino)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tool Manager: Installing platformio/tool-scons @ ~4.40001.0
Tool Manager: tool-scons @ 4.40001.0 has been installed!
Tool Manager: Removing tool-scons @ 3.30101.0
Tool Manager: tool-scons @ 3.30101.0 has been removed!

*** No platform named 'win32'
File "C:\users\jeffd\.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\main.py", line 91, in
================================================================================================== [FAILED] Took 8.17 seconds ==================================================================================================

Environment Status Duration
------------- -------- ------------
rambo FAILED 00:00:08.171
December 21, 2020 10:25PM
PlatformIO is the best way to go on windows.

But something is quite broken with your platformio install
December 21, 2020 10:49PM
Dust
PlatformIO is the best way to go on windows.

But something is quite broken with your platformio install

Got further.. Ran it again and I used the Config from 2.0.5.3 which apparently is not the same in the 2.0.7.2

SO, I need to do a compare and set up the 2.0.7.2 with my 2.0.5.3 changes and try again..

But I am making progress. I have the time as I am waiting for hardware to finish swapping away from the acrylic frame
December 21, 2020 10:52PM
you definitely cannot use older configs on newer marlin.. this include platformio.ini, Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files.
December 21, 2020 11:02PM
Yeah so I assume I have to hand edit them.. That will be tomorrows task to edit and get the 2.0.7.2 set up (Meaning Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h. I assume manually editing is ok with Platform IO? Or do you do everything in PlatformIO.ini ?
December 22, 2020 05:57AM
grab a default config from 2.0.5.3 and do a diff with your config, then you know what you modified and can apply just that to the new config. As a first pass anyways.
December 22, 2020 09:54AM
I found WinMerge allows for a much faster duplication or editing of the configuration files in Marlin firmware.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
December 24, 2020 08:45PM
Got it.. I compared the Configuration and Configuration_adv in Notepad++ I changed everything I have currently set from 2.0.5.3

Now It complies, and builds to my Rambo 1.3 I am able to move my Z and X. I am still in process of rebuilding my Acrylic printer on an Aluminum frame and fixing other small issues.

I do have a question on Marlin firmware. I have another printer with Prusa MK2 Firmware. there is a Live Z adjust feature, is there something like this in Marlin? Also the bed level code I am using is where it checks 9 points. is there a better or another one bed leveling I should try? I am trying to determine the final firmware for this printer that will use.
December 24, 2020 09:05PM
Live Z is called babystepping in Marlin

there are 5 different bed leveling systems.
which one is best is up to you.

personally they are all excuses not to actually level your bed for real
December 25, 2020 11:11AM
Dust
Live Z is called babystepping in Marlin

there are 5 different bed leveling systems.
which one is best is up to you.

personally they are all excuses not to actually level your bed for real

Yes, But what kind of process do you go through to manually level your bed? Do you do it every time you print?
December 25, 2020 11:46AM
I enable the Babystepping in marlin, it could be considered a crutch I guess if you use it that way. This is mainly for the Nozzle height.

I level the bed manually, though some times do not get it perfect so the baybstepping allows me to quickly adjust to a good height during printing the skirt.
Keeping track of how far I adjusted using babystepping, then I can use this to turn my thumb screw adjustable proximity sensor slide mount height to correct.

If you have your thumb screw adjuster color coded in quarters or even numbered 0 - 9 after a few time making the adjustment you can simple turn the Thumb Screw to that setting,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2020 11:49AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
January 04, 2021 04:34PM
Quick update..

Got VSCode working.. that is a nice way to upload Marlin.

I will say, it is amazing how well a unit can work with a solid frame (Aluminum vs Acrylic) and a bit of time to dial in everything. my PLA Prints I have tested look great!!

Next to dial in PETG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login