Advanced

Facing issues with motors and z endstop with BTT SKR v1.4

Posted by pvishalp19 
Facing issues with motors and z endstop with BTT SKR v1.4
January 03, 2021 07:22AM
I am using
1. BTT SKR V1.4 board with all A4988 drivers
2. nema 17 stepper motors
3. Inductive type probe sensor (6V) for Z axis and optical endstops for X and Y axis
4. 12 v SMPS power supply.
I have done all the settings and connections. But Currently I am facing 2 issues with my core XY Hypercube 3d printer:

1) When I connect printer to pronterface, and send M119 command, it shows X and Y endstops as "Open" and z endstops "triggered". My x and y endstops works fine for "Open" and "triggered" but z endstops don't changes the status. It stays as it is. Kindly suggest me way forward to solve this issue.

2) although my x and y endstops are open, still when I try to move x and y axis, they are not moving at all. My X and Y motor are feeling resistance to move. ( Simple words- My x and y motors are feeling that endstops are triggered even if my endstops are open)
Please help me in these two issues
Waiting for your response. Thank you.
Re: Facing issues with motors and z endstop with BTT SKR v1.4
January 03, 2021 07:45AM
No Config files, no mention of what firmware your running though it is probably marlin and thus should be in the marlin section.

1) there a lots of different types of inductive probes, What is yours?.
You can also plug the probe into multiple places... Z-min or the probe port, where did you connect yours?

2) If you don't home the power on position is presumed to be 0, so you cannot move to positions less than 0, so positive moves only.
Check things like steps/mm and micro stepping is setup correctly (using jumpers)

January 03, 2021 09:14AM
Thank you so much for your prompt response as usual.
1) I am using marlin firmware.
2) I am using PNP-NO Size M-12 inductive type sensor
3) I have connect my inductive sensor to Z-min port

I have not understood your reply to my 2nd query. Can you pleas elaborated more. What should i change in steps/mm and micro stepping?

I have attached my "configuration.h" and "firmware" files. Please kindly have a look and let me know which settings shall i change to solve the mentioned problems. Let me know if you want more info from my side.

Thank and regards
Vishal
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (93.7 KB)
open | download - firmware.bin (157.9 KB)
January 03, 2021 09:02PM
Please show image of sensor wiring. Need to see what wire you have where...
January 03, 2021 09:44PM
Ok. I will share you the image shortly. Till that can you please tell me regarding the 2nd issue? Why my motors are not running ?
January 03, 2021 10:03PM
I have no idea yet..

other than did you set microstepping jumpers under the stepper modules

ie all the yellow rectangles in this image

January 03, 2021 10:27PM
Yes I have set that all as per image only
January 03, 2021 10:28PM
Is my configuration.h file correct? Or some settings are missing ?
January 03, 2021 10:48PM
Nothing obviously wrong with Configuration

I'm thinking electrical issue

First you must have an external power supply, 12 or 24 volts to move stepper motors
second stepper motors must be wire correctly (cable has 4 pins pin 1 and 2 are a coil and 3 and 4 are another coil) remove the stepper cable from the controller and measure conductivity between those pins on the stepper plug through the stepper motors.
third, you must use correct steppers plugs. This board will not reliably connect to 4 pin dupont cables. (the black connector in this image)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 10:49PM by Dust.
January 03, 2021 11:21PM
I am using 12v power supply. Also I have identified the correct pair of motor terminals and attached wires accordingly. Further I have used the white connectors (as shown in images) .

I have stuck badly and not seeing way forward to resolve it. Let me know what else I can check ?
January 04, 2021 12:54AM
Did you make changes to Configuration_adv.h?
January 04, 2021 01:01AM
January 04, 2021 02:19AM
Still wanting pictures, stepper drivers, jumpers, plugs....
January 04, 2021 03:27AM
please find the following link for pictures from my board.
[postimg.cc]
Kindly note the following:
1) For Proximity sensor I have done the arrangement using resistors like what "Tech2C" have done in video.
Proximity sensor connection So there is only one pin to attach on board which i connected to signal terminal of board
2) I had used similar arrangement earlier when i was using Arduino mega 2560 and ramps 1.4 .There it was working properly.
Let me know if anything else you want.
Thank you
January 04, 2021 05:54AM
Those stepper "plugs" are dreadful!!
January 04, 2021 06:04AM
Yes they are. I don't have other plugs. But sir, the same plugs I had used earlier as well with ardino mega 2560 and ramps 1.4, they they worked fine.

Is it really because of those plugs really?
January 04, 2021 11:00PM
My extruder plug and z -axis motor is not having problem at all. So I tried to extrude filament. My hotend is heating correctly but my extruder motor also doesn't move at all. Similar case for z-axis as well.
I think problem is not with motor plugs.
Can you please suggest me any other solutions so that I can try those

Thank you
January 05, 2021 04:21AM
I build a basic marlin 2.0.7.2 for BTT SKR V1.4 with A4988's. No lcd, probes, or anything fancy. I attached it

I put this into my controller with some A4988's and tested X and Y steppers with it

G1 X10
22:12:39.357 > ok
G1 X0
22:12:44.742 > ok
G1 Y10
22:12:51.489 > ok
G1 Y0
22:12:55.998 > ok

It worked without issues

Put this firmware.bin on your sdcard and reboot the controller.
Check you have 12 or 24 volts on to the board. (preferably have the power jumper set to VDD not USB so it will not power up without 12 or 24v)
Then test basic moves with gcode.

If this firmware.bin doesn't work for you. you have a hardware fault.

Either:
Bad wiring.
Dead stepper drivers (as they die really easily when stepper wires are bad)
Stepper driver vref set to low to move stepper motors
Or dead Controller
Or possibility a bad sd card, so that new firmware doesn't get uploaded correctly

These are the only possibilities left. (that I can think of)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 06:32AM by Dust.
Attachments:
open | download - firmware.bin (86.9 KB)
January 05, 2021 06:21AM
I've just written [github.com]

A very simple program to move all stepper motors back and forwards forever. (you may have seen the same thing for a ramps)
No interaction, very little to configure. Or use the binaries , independent of marlin (as much as you can, the lpc176x support being specifically written for marlin)

NB does not look at anything like endstops, or hotends. So make sure steppers are in mid position and extruders don't have filament if you use this.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 06:33AM by Dust.
January 06, 2021 12:39PM
Thank you for your help.

I tried to upload your firmware but nothing happened. i think firmware is not getting uploaded.
1) I tried multiple times to upload firmware by changing the machine name to see the firmware is really getting the uploaded or not. Though while uploading it is saying "Successfully uploaded", But all the time my LCD display shows same name of machine.
2) But without getting firmware uploaded how my hotend thermistor works (My hotend heats without issue?
3) I removed SD card from motherboard and connected my BBT SKT V1.4 to laptop, it is showing local disk of 120MB. Which disk space it is? and it shows some file please find the attached image

Can you please help me further in explaining what is happening?
January 06, 2021 09:29PM
On a SKR 1.3 or 1.4 the upload button just copies the firmware.bin onto the sd card. ie "Successfully uploaded" means it found what it thinks is the sd card and uploaded the file there.
after this you should see firmware.bin on the sdcard

you then reboot the controller.

When the controller starts up it looks at the onboard SDCARD for firmware.bin. if it finds the file only then it flashes it into the controller flash. It then renames firmware.bin to FIRMWARE.CUR.
Now it runs the new firmware.

I have no idea on the image. It doesn't look related to marlin or the sd card. Its looks like some form of boot able usb stick.

NB if your using the provided 128MB that may have come with the controller. don't. It is utter rubbish. Use a different sd card.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 09:50PM by Dust.
January 19, 2021 11:45PM
Thank you so much for your help.

I have proximity sensor PNP-NO 6v-36v. How can I install this in my BTT SKR V 1.4 board?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login