Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

marlin 2.0.7.2 will not load onto SKR V1.3

Posted by catmandu 
marlin 2.0.7.2 will not load onto SKR V1.3
February 06, 2021 09:21AM
I have a delta which I have been trying to get running with the above board and TMC2100 drivers which has been partially successful, I still need to overcome a homing issue and so decided to switch back to marlin for a while. The firmware compiling and uploading seems to have gone successfully, i end up with the firmware.bin file on the card which changes to FIRMWARE.CUR when put in the board, but the board will not connect to Pronterface or Repetier and the LCD screen powers up but remains blank. I thought at first that there must be a problem with Platformio, but then noticed that, with the card out of the board Repetier and Pronterface showed that Smoothie was still loaded even though ther was no card in the board. Having searched for an answer I believe that the smoothie bootloader is still on the board, but I cannot find a way to remove it, any ideas?
Re: marlin 2.0.7.2 will not load onto SKR V1.3
February 06, 2021 09:48AM
set a serial port to -1 to enable serial over usb

"I believe that the smoothie bootloader is still on the board, but I cannot find a way to remove it, any ideas?"
skr 1.3 uses smoothie boot loader, it is meant to be there if you remove it you cannot upload firmware from the sd card you would then need a j-link or other hardware programmer to upload firmware.
February 06, 2021 11:17AM
Do you mean in marlin config, if so it is set to -1 but I cannot get marlin to connect to Pronterface or repetier at any baud rate
So does this mean that I cannot use the board for anything but smoothie? or can the bootloader be overwritten to be able to load marlin , assuming that it is the smoothie bootloader that is stopping marlin from loading. I don't know if it is relevent, but the machine was running superbly on marlin before I changed it to smoothie
February 06, 2021 06:23PM
serial port -1 ignores baud rates. all baud rates should work. It always run at 12Mbps

Marlin runs fine on this controller.

Leave the boot loader alone, it has nothing to do with anything.
February 07, 2021 06:07AM
Thanks for the input dust, I did not know that serial port -1 ignores baud rates, you live and learn. I am well aware that marlin runs fine on this controller, I have 4 printers of various designs all running on this controller, or they did until I changed the firmware on the delta from marlin to smoothie and now come to change it back to marlin and came up against the problem described in an earlier post, that is - marlin seems to compile and build to the sd card successfully but when I put it in the controller firmware.bin changes to FIRMWARE.CUR as it should but Pronterface nor Repetier will connect and the LCD lights up but remains blank. As I have changed the firmware flavour a number of times without problem in the past I am puzzled as to why I would have this problem this time. If it is a case of the smoothie bootloader taking control of the board and locking it against any other firmware that's all I need to know, I will leave it as it is and get another SKR board to put the marlin on.
March 11, 2021 04:04PM
The documentation for the SKR 1.3 tells you to set the serial ports as follows;

/**
* Select the serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.
* This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.
* Serial port -1 is the USB emulated serial port, if available.
* Note: The first serial port (-1 or 0) will always be used by the Arduino bootloader.
* :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
*/
#define SERIAL_PORT -1

/**
* Select a secondary serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.
* Currently Ethernet (-2) is only supported on Teensy 4.1 boards.
* :[-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
*/
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 0

/**
* This setting determines the communication speed of the printer.
* 250000 works in most cases, but you might try a lower speed if
* you commonly experience drop-outs during host printing.
* You may try up to 1000000 to speed up SD file transfer.
* :[2400, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 250000, 500000, 1000000]
*/
#define BAUDRATE 115200

Do this and the communications will work as you expect it to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login